Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2011, 11:20 AM

Default PPC PT 8 Going to PT 9 Mac pro Question

Hey Guys, I am sure this has been answered but i cannot seem to find it on the forum. Here is what i am trying to find out.

I have an old PPC G5 dual 2.0 with PCIx slots. I am running PT8 HD3 accell.
If I buy a new Mac pro and go to Pro tools 9 will my old PT cards and interface's still work on the new Mac pro (pcix to Pcie) or will i need to also get new HD Cards.

Also is the Magma Chassis the only solution if they are not compatible?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge in advance.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:39 AM

Default Re: PPC PT 8 Going to PT 9 Mac pro Question

I dont think magma is the only option. I know pci to pcie works with an expansion but Im not sure about PCIx. it definatly dosnt fit in PCIe
But if you have to buynew cards check out www.altomusic.com
After a long while of researching and looking for prices and gear I found Alto Music to have the best prices by far. Those guys are incredible super fast shipping free on most expensive $2000 orders. Some how they manage to give me more ,cheaper ,better than I think im even getting I cannot say enough good things about that store checkem out. I live in a different country and I cant imagine buying anything not from them.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:41 PM

I'm in the same situation.
The crossgrade to PCIe is an option if HD3 is enough system for you.
If it isn't, the chassis is the way to go and expand to HD4,5,6...this seems to be the more popular choice, possibly because people may think that expanded systems offer a degree of insurance against the time when Avid should happen to choose to try to kill off HD. It's also possible people like the HUGE power available to them at that point in a modern Mac with that additional rock solid processing power and I/O capability.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:21 PM

Yeah we were talking about that yesterday and i just thought maybe they (Old cards) would work in a new machine but i was dead wrong. I am interested in the magma and I will do some checking into it.
The HD3 is usually enough for what i do but in some instances i do need more umph.
which brings me to my next question. How much more power will i get just using HD3accell on a new mac pro with the new 9 and new cards? I cant see me needing much more than what i have now so even if its a small amount more power i think i will be ok without the magma. I cant imagine being on an HD4 but hmmm it may be nice haha.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:19 PM

Well, i think i may just wait for the new apogee interfaces that integrate the new thunderbolt technology and go native haha. I am really worried about the phasing out of TDM in the next year or two.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:40 PM

The AES show is in October. That's typically when Avid releases new products. It's not that far away if you're going to wait.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:56 PM

yeah I am definitely going to wait.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:44 AM

Avid phase out TDM? Not anytime soon...TV and film people are heavily invested, and Avid wouldn't want to alienate their biggest userbase.

As far as horsepower, a new Mac will allow MUCH greater use of RTAS due to the multiprocessor capabilities...and the plus there is that the native plugs are less expensive than the TDM. Other than that, your HD3 Accel will perform as it always has.

Thunderbolt is the new Firewire. Firewire was the new lightpipe. Unless the connectors lock, I don't trust it...but I'm going to wait and see.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:46 PM

Using a Mac Pro with HD 6 PCI in a Magma PE6R4. The extra power, compared to HD3, is awesome and the extra RTAS power is equally awesome. The Magma was cheaper than the crossgrade and the extra cards were dirt cheap on eBay. Way way more bang for the buck. If you go for the extra power I'm pretty damn sure that you'll end up going to some crazy new creative places just because now you can. Personally, I'd much rather edit myself as a result of artistic sensibilities as opposed to the technology placing a limit on the possibilities.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:22 AM

Oh, does it mean, that I can run PT8HD on my Power Mac G5 dual 1.8 with the new Avid HD IO Interface?
Which osx are you guys using?
Thanks