How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2023, 08:18 AM

Default Record guitar in pieces

Hello Pro tools.

Hope its the right forum to ask the question.

I want to record a whole fingerstyle guitar song, but in pieces.
How is the way to do that? I know how to record and everything, im just unsure how i mix it together and make it sound smooth.

Are there anyone who can help with some tricks about that? :)
Old 12-03-2023, 11:48 AM
Avid

Default Re: Record guitar in pieces

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbccbk View Post
Hello Pro tools.

Hope its the right forum to ask the question.

I want to record a whole fingerstyle guitar song, but in pieces.
How is the way to do that? I know how to record and everything, im just unsure how i mix it together and make it sound smooth.

Are there anyone who can help with some tricks about that? :)
Hi, you can try using 2 or 3 microphones,
one directed on the neck, the other one on the body, then you can also set another mic (preferably a large diaphragm condenser mic) further than the two with higher gain, to get the full sound of the guitar.
Would also depend on your room's acoustics.
It would really vary. You can still try experimenting your own set up to get the sound and tone you'd like to hear :)

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com
Old 12-03-2023, 05:13 PM

what do You mean in pieces? Do You mean you play one 'verse', stop, and then record second verse and on and on?
Old 12-03-2023, 10:43 PM

Thats exactly what i mean:)
Old 12-03-2023, 10:59 PM

This sort of stuff must be covered in many beginner tuotrials. Look on YouTube and Groove3 (theri commerical lessons are very good).

There are always many ways to skin a cat, you can work from the most highly structured approach to complete freehand noodling on guitar and then cut up and reassemble all that while editing.

Understanding a few things here will likely help you a lot. One is how to "punch in", where you can be listening/playing along to stuff you have already recorded and then have Pro Tools go into record so you can say add a verse, to one you have already recorded, or correct a few bars, or try a different solo,

The other big concept (and these both work together) to understand is playlists, where you can keep many versions of recordings on a track. Those tracks might look like they are just say the latest recording you made, but you can have multiple playlists behind that.. and then when editing pick from and mix different playlist/clips to make a final mix.

The other thing that you may want to do is understand how to create a click track, how to set song time signature and tempo and do all this before you start recording guitar. Maybe you also use timeline markers to set out verses and choruses etc.

You can look up tutorials on these topics, or look them up in the Pro Tools Reference Guide PDF (but that's not a tutorial book, use that Reference book along with finding good video tutorials).
Old 12-04-2023, 01:21 AM

Okay thanks alot for the answer. I have been sesrching for tutorial about how people do that but so far i havent found it… the punch in is something Ill defently need to learn. Maybe i just need to spend abit more time in pro tools before i know my way around :)
Old 12-04-2023, 04:33 AM

Basically, (and take it from a newb like me) when you start a new session you select Singer Songwriter from the Getting Started section. This, I believe adds a click track to your session.

Then You set your tempo by clicking on the tempo number in the upper right hand section and set the metronome speed for your recording.

Then under the audio track you push the round dot and it will start blinking red.

Then you press the #3 on your keypad and the click track starts ticking and you start playing the first section. When you're done you press the space bar.

Then you click on the measure number to put a blinking cursor at the end of your recording that you want to keep and press the #3 on the keypad to start the recording again.

Repeat.

That is basically it and you learn more from there.