Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2011, 05:27 PM

Default Upgrading From PT7 to PT9

Any suggestions?

I'm trying to avoid iLok and other problems.

Do I need to remove my PT7 license to add a new PT9 license or will my iLok be happy with both PT licenses living on the one iLok?

Would you suggest buying the upgrade (which is cheaper), or should I buy the PT9 complete install?

I've got a new computer and expansion chassis, so I'm now ready to purchase the software. Just looking for a little direction from you guys who know what you're doing.

I SO appreciate your advice.

Thanks!!
Mac Mini (2019)
3.2 Ghz - 6 Core i7
Mojave with 64 GB RAM
PT Ultimate (2019.10)
Motu 16a
C/24 Control Surface
Old 08-22-2011, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Upgrading From PT7 to PT9

My 2 cents only(and please get more opinions on this). Does the old PT7 HD require iLok to run? If it does, I would move the 7 authorization to its own iLok and set that aside. AFAIK, the 7 asset will be surrendered from your iLok account when you receive the 9 asset. By placing the old asset on its own iLok(don't know about you, but I have a few spares kicking around), you will still be able to open 7 on the old system, with the extra iLok, even though the asset is gone from your iLok account. As for upgrade vs full install, I will let others answer that one, but consider, if you are a commercial enterprise, you can write it off, and you may be happy to have the full installer at some point in the future When going from an old system to new, with a new computer and chassis, I would leave the old setup as intact as possible, until you decide you never need it again and sell it off.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-22-2011, 06:53 PM

Great advice!!

Thanks so much!
Mac Mini (2019)
3.2 Ghz - 6 Core i7
Mojave with 64 GB RAM
PT Ultimate (2019.10)
Motu 16a
C/24 Control Surface
Old 08-22-2011, 09:20 PM

I have licenses for PT 7 and 8 on one iLok... in some ways this is absolutely necessary for users to be able to go back and forth between projects using both versions. PT 8 is on one internal drive, with PT7.4 on the other internal drive. HTH.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:39 AM

Great help Ray. Thanks so much!
Anyone else care to chime in?
Best... B
Mac Mini (2019)
3.2 Ghz - 6 Core i7
Mojave with 64 GB RAM
PT Ultimate (2019.10)
Motu 16a
C/24 Control Surface
Old 08-24-2011, 01:42 AM

I could be completly wrong here but I think you can have as many licences as you want on there but If you buy PT 9 as a upgrade or crossgrade
or free upgrade you surrender you previous license to inaffect trade up to the new lisence for a lower cost of new, example PT 9 new $599 or crossgrade $250
I dont think lossing a PT 7 license is that big a problem your saving $350 on
the upgrade or if you have to buy it you wont lose your PT7 license because you already own it . (besides I could be wrong here but) PT 9 is an upgrade from PT 8 from PT7 it will be basically the same with new added futures so your tracks should work just fine from PT7 \PT9 this is something Digidesign/Avid Pro Tools have always been geat at maintaining for there users unlike some other software programs this is one of the reason why I like PT
Old 08-24-2011, 06:49 PM

Thanks Sonix!

I will check into this. If I just get the full version and put it on my iLok, I hopefully won't have any down days in my studio.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks again... B
Mac Mini (2019)
3.2 Ghz - 6 Core i7
Mojave with 64 GB RAM
PT Ultimate (2019.10)
Motu 16a
C/24 Control Surface
Old 08-26-2011, 02:02 PM

I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding the upgrade price for current owners of PT pre-v9 buys you the full installer by default. They don't just add modules/files/whatever to the software you have on your system hard drive, they replace with current code etc. Yes, you will have to surrender your licence for v7, but IIRC you get a bundle license for v9, both HD and native which also authorizes the v8 they give you as fallback. it seems to me Avid has covered all your bases
Old 08-26-2011, 02:25 PM

Thank you so much Kooz. I appreciate your input.
I think you are indeed correct, but I don't want to lose my PT7 license.
Maybe I'm afraid of things going wrong with my system and being unable to open previous projects, etc., but that might be worth the extra price to get a separate ilok, transfer the PT7 license over to that, and then add the new license to my existing ilok. This way, I'll be covered in the unlikely event of a technical boo-boo...
Anyone else have any other suggestions before I jump into the PT9 club?
Thanks again...
Mac Mini (2019)
3.2 Ghz - 6 Core i7
Mojave with 64 GB RAM
PT Ultimate (2019.10)
Motu 16a
C/24 Control Surface