Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2004, 02:17 PM

Default Managing input signal strength during tracking liv

I recorded an 18 member group of singers in a fairly reverby sanctuary last weekend. Though I got good tracks, I had trouble managing input levels, specifically clipping.

My signal chain is simple, 4 condensor mics -->002r --> powerbook --> PTLE 6.2.

The songs had a low average volume, and then would crescendo at several points and clip, leaving me with an average signal strength of, I don't know in -db, but the PTLE signal indicators were hovering around 45-55%.

It became a nerve wracking game of scrambling to turn down 4 knobs during loud parts of songs I didn't know (manual compression/limiting...ghetto).

It was pretty much a live stuation. One or two takes, no doing quiet parts and then resetting levels and doing loud parts.

Can I improve my session experience by adding inboard compression harware between the mics and the AD converters in the 002r, or is that the wrong way to go about it too?

Thanks fellas,

dnash
Old 03-10-2004, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Managing input signal strength during tracking

Quote:

Can I improve my session experience by adding inboard compression harware between the mics and the AD converters in the 002r, or is that the wrong way to go about it too?

No, you should have done that in the first place, and outboard compressor / micpre is one of the essentials on LIVE recording. Nothing else can save you this.

If your already clipped recording aren´t too bad try AS ClipRemover from the new FREE BF plug-ins from DIGI.

regs
Old 03-10-2004, 03:19 PM

Rather than opting for a compressor, why not get a preamp,although it is always good to compress a vocal before tape, in some casses you might not know if the type of compression is gona suit your mix/end result!! So try optimising your inputs to capture the loudest part without clipping, rather than hope'n for the best(im not tryn to be smart/rude)!
did the signals distort or did the meters indicate clipping?? (because they are pretty booggie meters)
go to:
psp-audioware.com - Vintage meter
elementalaudio.com - Inspector
or the Bomb Factory plugs has a meter bridge(all are free & seriously help)

who needs more tracks(surround is the way)
Aido
Old 03-10-2004, 04:12 PM

Unfortunately theres no reparing the clipped signals. In the future, set your levels for peak performance levels leaving you some headroom. for the 002/002R nominal levels sohould be targeted at -14dbfs.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:16 AM

Thanks guys. That's what I thought about the inboard compression. Fortunately I only averaged about 3-4 brief clicks per tune by staying on the gain knobs like stink on a dog. I did do my best to set the levels by having them reherse the loudest parts of a song while I set them, but they generally sang louder when actually tracking.

Only a few of them caused noticeable distortion. So I guess I'm sneaking by on this one.

I'll also check out that clip remover plugin. Sounds like a tool to do the job I did manually (finding the peaks and quieting them down 2-3 db with the gain plug).

Take it as a lesson learned.

Thanks again.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:53 AM

If the peaks are short enough you could redraw the waveform with the pencil tool.