Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2002, 12:55 AM

Default Question about mics

Hey fellas

Hope everything is good with everybody.

I don't have a mic yet and need one. My question is...

What will be the basic differences in a Mic that cost $60 or $70 as opposed to a Mic that cost $170 and up? I'm speaking of the quality of the sound that is recorded into PTs.

I would probably be interested in recording vocals,acoustic and electric guitar and Bass,congas...stuff like that.

Any input would be cool. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

DJ DBOY
Old 04-06-2002, 01:01 AM

Default Re: Question about mics

You will notice that the better mics have more "punch" and clarity.

May i suggest a shure sm57? It does a decent job on all the instruments you describe.

Its about $80 at musician's friend

Bastiaan
Old 04-06-2002, 04:18 AM

The world of mics is a highly diverse one. A sure sm57 is a good all around mic, every one who records audio in a studio should have one or two.
I my self would not use one for the recording of vocals or even acoustic guitar, but many pros have used them for vocals, acoustic guit, drums, bass.... and have had very nice results with them. I use that mic for electric guitar and some drums...
My advise to anyone that is looking for the right mic is to go out to the music store and listen to them. Your mic is the first thing in your recording chain, and you should take time in selecting one. If you are looking for a mic that will do everything great - good luck and let me know if you find one.
For vocals, you may want to look in to a good condenser mic. I have an AKG C3000 and a Rode NTK and I like them both ( I like the NTK better ).
Go to a web site like Sweetwater.com and just look at all of the mics that are for sale. Read what the makers of the mics say about their product and you will quickly see all of the things in common that vocal mics share vrs. mics for kick drums...
Pretty basic stuff.
My last bit of advise in selecting mics is - don't skimp. Save up those extra bucks and go get a nice one. A Rode NTK is fairly inexpensive for the quality that you get, and there are several other great choices out there from $300 / $600.
Good luck
Old 04-06-2002, 10:50 AM

Ol' sessiondude has a V-Tech mic that sounds surprisingly good for the price. You might contact him for the model... I do completely agree with the above posts. I've wound up with several mic types including a Shure 57, an EV RE27nd and Sennheiser 441, plus my fave, the Rode NTK for male voice work; all have a place regardless of price. The little V-Tech of S.D.'s is surprisingly good sounding though. I wonder how he does it... he's not tellin' me!