Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2023, 02:16 PM

Default Erratic audio waveform display

I have a perplexing thing here- but I guess they all are.
Lately the waveforms that display in audio tracks are hit-or-miss about display after recording. While tracking something, the displayed waveform appears in a normal manner, with peaks and valleys corresponding more or less to the program level. So far, so good. But when the take is over, anywhere from 50 to 80% of the track goes flat line. But not every time. The audio is intact, meaning, that track will play back just fine. But the displayed track drops out after anywhere from 10 to 20 seconds into a piece of music. If I don’t need to do any editing on the track, it’s not much of a problem. At first I thought it was a REAL problem, until I discovered that if I really expand the track the wave form is visible and can be edited if need be. It’s fairly cumbersome to edit, though, because just a very few notes fills the screen because I’m editing at the micro level.
This phenomena is not consistent. It doesn’t necessarily appear on every track, nor at the same place. Or the problem may not appear at all. If a track is recorded snd displays the waveform for the complete take, it doesn’t mysteriously disappear (or parts thereof.)
It doesn’t seem to be effected by the amount of plug-ins or tracks that or open or active.

I’ve been using Pro Tools for about 10 years now, and while I don’t pretend to be an expert, I can usuall,get what I want out of it.
I’m using the Latest version of Windows 10 , upDated about a month ago. My computer is newer than the last version of Pro Tools, and has not previously shown any signs of poor performance.
Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by mickeyrouse; 09-29-2023 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-29-2023, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Erratic audio waveform display

2 thoughts:
With Pro Tools closed, delete the Wavecache.wfm files (you can delete all of them, everywhere. Do a file search and just delete all files named that. They get rebuilt when you reopen the session.)

The other thought is you have per track waveform zoom happening (zoomed out in this case.) You can change that holding ctrl+drag up/down the Zoom tool. But you could also zoom all the track to the smallest and then the biggest to see if you can get the behaviour to reset
Old 09-30-2023, 07:02 AM

Yes, I’ve tried the zoom in and out trick. The problem is that only part of the track is effected, so that where the zoom size seems about right for part of the track it is either micro or macro for other parts of that same track. Audio is not impacted apparently, and I can edit tracks, but not as easily as on a track that is not doing this. It’s survivable, but something is obviously not working right.
Old 09-30-2023, 08:05 AM

Maybe update the graphics driver? If its nVidia graphics(see why details matter??), get the update from nVidia.com instead of the card manufacturer(eVGA, PNY, etc). If this doesn't help, post complete details on the system(click on the link near the top of this page named Help Us Help You)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave