Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2011, 09:42 PM

Default Okay Soo.......

ProTools 10 is the last version for the 002R. My question is should I get my 002R the Signature Mod from Black Lion Audio, or try and find a new interface that is just as good as the modded one?

I am lost now. Where should I go from here?
Pro Tools 10.3.7 - 11.1.2
6GB RAM
Universal Audio Apollo Quad!!!
Eleven Rack
Focusrite Octopre MKII
Yamaha HS80s
Rockit RP5 Monitors w/ RP10 sub
Old 10-25-2011, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Okay Soo.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougied View Post
ProTools 10 is the last version for the 002R. My question is should I get my 002R the Signature Mod from Black Lion Audio, or try and find a new interface that is just as good as the modded one?

I would wait and buy someone else's BLA modded interface once it achieves legacy status. Why waste your money. I wouldn't spend any money modding an interface once its demise has been announced.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 10-25-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:

Wait for namm and see if anything pops up that could interest you.

//edit the last part of his sentence. Might be time for me to hit the sack didn't even see the "R"

Wave-T.com
Old 10-25-2011, 10:07 PM

Get the Mbox 3 Pro. It sounds just as good as the modded 002 and it has more features.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet View Post
Get the Mbox 3 Pro. It sounds just as good as the modded 002 and it has more features.
I really enjoy my Focusrite Octopre MKII ADAT'd into my 002R, I need the 12 mic pres for tracking drums. I'm between a rock and a hard place now.
Pro Tools 10.3.7 - 11.1.2
6GB RAM
Universal Audio Apollo Quad!!!
Eleven Rack
Focusrite Octopre MKII
Yamaha HS80s
Rockit RP5 Monitors w/ RP10 sub
Old 10-26-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:
I really enjoy my Focusrite Octopre MKII ADAT'd into my 002R, I need the 12 mic pres for tracking drums. I'm between a rock and a hard place now.
If you enjoy what you have, don't change a thing. You can likely work with it for another several years without any updates or money spent. As for going BLA, I think I would just go with a good 3rd party interface like the Focusrite LS56 or one of the bigger MOTU interfaces

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-01-2011, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet View Post
What I can assume from the above:
A./ You've never heard a Black Lion modded 002R
B./ In your world less inputs=more features
Old 11-01-2011, 03:19 AM

I've used 002r and apogee ensemble in my room, same monitors etc and to me the ensemble is a big step up. Much tighter low end, much more transparent, way better pre's and my tracking and mixing now sounds better and translates excellently - although I'm no Spike Stent. I also have Neve Portico pre's and comps that I track through, but I actually prefer the apogee pre's on guitars as they've more punch, I use one of each on Bass.
No problems with ensemble and PT9 - I do have the typical RTAS & VI issues of non HD/64bit sigh.....

I looked into a BLA modded 002 before getting the ensemble, but being in the UK I just felt happier with support etc. I didn't listen to a BLA though...

I've had the unit out for location sessions too, and it always works really well.

I'd say an ensemble would be worth a try for you - if you have more budget, I'd suggest auditioning a prism Orpheus too - a further step up...
Old 11-01-2011, 06:13 AM

I own a BLA Signature Series 002. Excellent, I have no problems whats so ever with getting great mixes that translate to other systems and radio.

My thoughts are a little similar but, its should I get a HD system.....
I know avids plans to phase out but.....

Have you guys seen the prices of HD/1/2/3 systems
on ebay lately OMG, I have just always wanted one and this is the time to buy.
Systems are going for cheap!
Apollo X6. Apollo Twin.UAD2 Satellite
BLA XB Clock
SSL Fusion
Old 11-01-2011, 06:23 AM

Well, I guess I have a few points to go over on both sides of the fence:

I have an BLA-modded 002 (the original mod they have, not the latest one) and it sounds great; work on it every day! Huge upgrade for sure all across the board. If you use the analog sections on your 002r a lot, its definitely worth it, not to mention the clock upgrade.

That being said, I see you have the 002r. I think the only reason I've kept my 002 around so long (aside from the fact that it works just fine for what I'm doing) is the fact that its also a control surface. If I had an 002r, I might've dropped it for a Profire 2626 a long time ago and probably picked up another Rosetta 800. Grabbing a used 2626 (~$475) and upgrading to Pro Tools 9 (or 10) will give you 24 I/O with 16 channels of ADAT to use the preamps/conversion of your choice with. Granted the built-in pres and analog sections are nothing special, but if you're just using them for "spill over" scratch tracks and headphone monitoring, it gets the job done!

This is, however, an upgrade of functionality. I'm not sure what kind of work you do, so I'm not sure of your needs. Do you find you're needing more I/O, or do you HONESTLY feel that the sonics of the 002r are holding your mixes back? I've seen engineers track and mix entire rock projects on 002s and Mboxes and come out with fantastic results. Things like proper room treatment, quality monitors with proper positioning in the room, quality microphones, and above all, hiring GREAT players as needed for projects is better money spent if your setup is weak in those areas. But I can't sit here and tell you that I didn't notice an obvious change for the better when I modded my 002, so, yeah...what's your budget again?

I guess to sum up my dichotomistic ramblings, if a couple hundred bucks doesn't come easy and if the 002r is working for you now, stick with it for a bit. Considering the current climate in both the economy in general and in the DAW/interface market, now is far from a clear time to go making changes. I don't think anybody knows what 002-style interface will be the most "future-proof" as far as Avid is concerned, and what will be (if anything) the clear successor to this type of setup in Protools 11; as usual Avid is not being clear with their future intentions as a company.

Sorry this is probably not the answer you were looking for, but its all I've got at the moment! All of the advice so far on this thread is sound (except I don't think an Mbox would suite your needs.) Good luck!