Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2011, 10:46 PM

Default Authorization Issue

This is going to be a bit of a long story before I get to the question, so brace yourself.

A friend gave me a copy of Pro Tools 8 awhile back as a gift but no MBox or iLok, so I could never use it. Cut forward to this past January, I bought Pro Tools 9. Since I already had PT 8, I figured I'd save some money and buy the crossgrade version. I installed my PT 8 copy, then tried to instal PT 9 but I didn't have enough RAM. I finally got the RAM and was able to install PT 9 on my Macbook today, but I've run into another snag. It's asking me to authorize it, but I don't seem to have a way of authorizing it. I have an iLok, but when I go to authorize, it says, "This version of Pro Tools 9 requires authorization to run, but the authorization cannot be found in the installed iLok." I don't have a license card or even know what that is, so I'm not sure what to do about that. What's my problem and what do I need to do to get this damn thing authorized?
Old 05-25-2011, 12:12 AM

Default Re: Authorization Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by joncovey View Post
This is going to be a bit of a long story before I get to the question, so brace yourself.

A friend gave me a copy of Pro Tools 8 awhile back as a gift but no MBox or iLok, so I could never use it. Cut forward to this past January, I bought Pro Tools 9. Since I already had PT 8, I figured I'd save some money and buy the crossgrade version. I installed my PT 8 copy, then tried to instal PT 9 but I didn't have enough RAM. I finally got the RAM and was able to install PT 9 on my Macbook today, but I've run into another snag. It's asking me to authorize it, but I don't seem to have a way of authorizing it. I have an iLok, but when I go to authorize, it says, "This version of Pro Tools 9 requires authorization to run, but the authorization cannot be found in the installed iLok." I don't have a license card or even know what that is, so I'm not sure what to do about that. What's my problem and what do I need to do to get this damn thing authorized?
Hi,

The version of 8 software your friend gave you is of no use unless he transfered the registration and ownership to your Avid account!! Plus all versions of Pro Tools before 9 came as a hardware and software package together!! Simply having the software alone does not mean you own it or have it registered.

So the upgrade was the wrong version to purchase, you should have bought the full version.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.