Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2010, 04:06 AM

Default TDM REVERB latency

Hi I am experiencing a swirling/echo during playback not all the time but usually when system is under load or after a duration of about 10-20sec of playback. It seems P.T is processing the reverb not in real time but is getting left behind and processing after the fact also when playback is stopped it continues to pass audio through sometimes 5 sec after playback stopped and I am not talking about reverb tail but audio still just passing through the reverb.

I don't have a lot of voices in use I am use HD accel card with i7 930. Plugin is reverb one however I experience even with standard digi tdm plugins. What is a good tdm reverb, I am not sure if I like reverb one yet.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:57 AM

Default Re: TDM REVERB latency

I never experienced that. you should specify your system in order to receive some help.

Regarding the reverb a lot comes from your ability to set the parameters and your clear idea of the space you want to recreate. Reverb one is a good one but has some limits in the algorithm that tend to make it sound "distant" that is not a bad thing for a reverb actually and if you are looking for the traditional digital reverb sound a la "Lexicon 224" it'll work fine. I find especially useful the dynamic control (was an hidden function on the 224 and 480) that lets you choose a different decay if a signal is present in the input or not. It's worth experimenting with it.

However I'm really in love with the tc DRV2 reverb that aim to recreate the old EMT 250 still considered the best general reverb to date. It's a really good emulation and has a wonderful diffused sound, spacious and with little coloring of the original sound and is "present". Works only in tdm or powercore or into the sys 6000 hardware.

I also like a lot the digiverb that despite it's simplicity has a wonderful algorithm and it's very useful in many occasions.

If you plan to upgrade with an accel card then you will have the option to use re-vibe another nice plugin from avid with a really cool early reflections section that will give you a lot of short but precise spaces.

I'm planning to get the VSS2 from tc but even with the price cut it's still a bit expensive.

I have also a really nice plate from princeton (eventide) and the eventide reverb. I use the plate regularly but I still couldn't find a use for the eventide.

All the rest of my reverbs need is covered by the TL space and an huge collection of inpulses including 224, 480, 960 and 200 from lexicon, AMS RMX (i bought a nice cd with a very good impulse response collection) and a lot of strange sounds from all over the places. Plus the original TL space collection. But even if the sound is good, sometimes I feel something missing in sampled reverbs.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6.0 - Monterey
MacBook M1Pro 10-16GB
Dangerous Music Summing - Focusrite Dante Rednet2 - Amek/Neve, Focusrite, TC Electronics, Mytek DA, Apogee ADDA
Old 11-05-2010, 12:31 AM

Default Re: TDM REVERB latency

Gigabye UD7 motherboard, i7 930, 6g ram. PT 8.1cs2 HD1 accel.