Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2024, 02:11 AM

Default Re: The Insert Was Made Inactive Because The Output Path Is Already In Use

Quote:
I can get signal in N Control from 1-2, but no signal is going to my Stamchild, which has cables 1-2 plugged into it.
I think I'm following this, but its maybe a little confusing since N Control has multiple sets of inputs and outputs. To help be clear in future can you describe say clearly if you get signal in N control from physical Input 1-2? Or from DAW return Play 1-2? etc.

Quote:
In the Bus menu under I/O it's not letting me switch the default output bus. It's stuck on HD audio output 1-2. I switched every other 1-2 thing to 11-12 under every I/O section. My other inserts produce no sound inside PT until I activate insert 1-2.
Try this with no session open: Trash prefs (yes I know this should not be needed, but I'm paranoid). Then make sure the playback engine is set to the Aurora interface, then on each of the {input, output, bus, insert} pages start by deleting all paths and then Default each page. And on the busses page (do last) Default "All Busses". If that looks like it is working then save the .pio file and try testing with a new empty session to start with. Try importing the .pio file into existing sessions if needed.

After deleting and defaulting all the I/O please post screenshots of those I/O pages. Post the images on a file or photo sharing web site and post the links to them here (so DUC does not downscale the images).

Quote:
In N Control I don't see anything to adjust the routing like in UAD Console.
I know this is confusing but you have to start paying more careful attention. In the second video in that series, titled "Lynx Aurora N Control Tutorial part 2 of 5: *Routing*". It's showing you how to do *routing*. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWNUtu0--IU

It does not matter if it looks totally different from the UAD Console or uses different terminology, N Control does manage output routing. You can route any DAW return to any outputs and you can use the meters to see where the signals are going. Drawing a signal flow diagram may help.

**But** if you are getting no output from the DAW to the DAW "Play" Returns, or can't even get a master fader to show output then this is not currently a N Control routing problem. That is what I'm looking for very clear info on. Like why I keep asking what the meters are showing. Like forgetting inserts and just focus on track outputs, I'm now gathering you can't get any track output to anything else besides 1-2? Can you create master faders and assign them to those outputs? etc. I'm guessing not, which is why I want you to completely delete and default the I/O.

Quote:
Sometimes my Fusion would just not work at all through the Apollo Twin. It was kinda random if the routing would work. So, I guess the big question is what PT does with HD Audio Output 1-2.
I have no idea what a Fusion is. And I would be surprised if there was anything random going on there. So lets just focus on one thing at a time, peel the onion and solve what is going on.

---

I'm not sure why you are getting "HD" labels on I/O paths... is that normal for Aurora N? I thought their drivers defaulted to simple I/O names like "In 1-2", "Out 1-2". Or have you used a Digilink interface or brought sessions over from one? Or was using the Lynx on Digilink before?

Pro Tools used to reserve Output 1-2 to be used for low latency monitoring. On HD Native and some maybe old Pro Tools interfaces that was where the internal mixer put the monitoring signals and low latency monitoring would disable software monitoring for Output 1-2 to line up with that. 12.5 is old enough it's maybe possible you are seeing a hold over from that, but I am surprised it stops you reassigning things, it should not. The behavior I can recall is you lost LLM hardware mixer support in HD Native (i.e. a HDN Digilink, not HD native) if using different outputs. But try all the I/O deletion/default and see what happens. And the simplest explanation here would simply be the I/O setup is missing busses mapped to physical outputs. So lets see that screenshot.

And not being able to change the default output bus itself is not going to be a cause of a problems, but it might be a symptom. All it does is set that default output bus as a track output when you create a new track. What then? You can't change that default assignments on those tracks? Because the other physical busses don't exist? Much more has to be going on here. Again, we need to see all the I/O pages to have a look at what is going on.