Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2023, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Very slow to activate/deactivate DSP

I installed some updated Plugin Alliance stuff recently and at least the SSL channel strips I use seem to have improved. Ironically I updated my McDSP CS 6050 for $29 buck and now clicking on the plugin even in Native mode hangs for about 5 seconds.
Old 08-25-2023, 08:01 AM

Finally had time to get my PA plugins updated. So they seem to work as before.
Meaning that when I pulled up a tracking template filled with PA Plugins and turned on DSP mode, it took about 20 min to switch from Native to DSP
Old 08-26-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
Finally had time to get my PA plugins updated. So they seem to work as before.
Meaning that when I pulled up a tracking template filled with PA Plugins and turned on DSP mode, it took about 20 min to switch from Native to DSP
My experience constantly although I can never nail the exact plugins or combinations down. Obviously this is untenable work flow. This entire element of the product seems to be unusable in its current form. 😠
Old 08-27-2023, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymixer View Post
My experience constantly although I can never nail the exact plugins or combinations down. Obviously this is untenable work flow. This entire element of the product seems to be unusable in its current form. 😠
Did a little more testing and came to the conclusion that some plug-ins (mostly PA in my case) will start the slow switching behavior when going over about 5 instances. So I either don't use any of the PA Plug-ins or I keep it down to no more then 5 while in tracking/punching mode. Since I had to stop using them about 8 months ago when I switched to an M1 computer with Protools 2022.12, I had gotten used to using only Avid,McDSP and EmpiricalLabs plug-ins.
I mentioned before in this tread that it is a specific Carbon Hybrid engine issue and obviously some developers have had no issues with it. EmpiricalLabs for instance, was able to fix it within days of me and several others reporting it to them. They contacted Avid and worked it out with them and had a fix in less then a week. Sonnox acknowledged the bug but didn't bother to fix it saying it was an Avid problem. Their loss.
Old 08-27-2023, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
Did a little more testing and came to the conclusion that some plug-ins (mostly PA in my case) will start the slow switching behavior when going over about 5 instances. So I either don't use any of the PA Plug-ins or I keep it down to no more then 5 while in tracking/punching mode. Since I had to stop using them about 8 months ago when I switched to an M1 computer with Protools 2022.12, I had gotten used to using only Avid,McDSP and EmpiricalLabs plug-ins.
I mentioned before in this tread that it is a specific Carbon Hybrid engine issue and obviously some developers have had no issues with it. EmpiricalLabs for instance, was able to fix it within days of me and several others reporting it to them. They contacted Avid and worked it out with them and had a fix in less then a week. Sonnox acknowledged the bug but didn't bother to fix it saying it was an Avid problem. Their loss.
yep, 5 is the magic number, I agree.
Old 09-20-2023, 01:23 PM

I just heard back from PA after filing a ticket and they seem to have no clue on to what's happening. So please anyone with PA Plug-ins and Avid Carbon's file a ticket with PA! And make sure you mention you are on an Avid Carbon since that's the main differentiator as supposed to an HDX system in Hybrid mode.
Sonnox replied a while back saying they were able to reproduce it with their Plug-ins but don't seem interested in fixing it. Saying it was Avid's problem to fix.
Old 09-21-2023, 01:26 PM

So I just loaded up 2023.9. And damn does that make a difference.
Loading up 12 channels with PA Channel Strips and switching to DSP now takes about 2 min! That took 15 min before!! Even better the Plug-ins that worked better before now even switch faster lol. ArouserLT on 12 tracks now takes about 3 sec to switch. Avid ChannelStrip takes less then a second!
Old 09-22-2023, 01:15 PM
Avid

Thanks for letting us know it's improved!
Professional Audio Systems

For immediate assistance:
Pro Tools & Eucon Surfaces - +1 888-456-3444
Venue Support - +1 978-275-2557

Find out how to create, manage, and edit cases online now HERE
It's fast, easy, and effective!