Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 10:52 AM

Default Do i realy need a seperate audio firewire drive

Ive been running my digi 003 and imac for 4 months and have just been using the system drive on the imac cus i cant afford to buy a seperate drive at the mo, but im wondering why im always reading that you need a seperate audio drive? my sessions avarage at about 30 tracks or more and im using at least 2 pluggins on each track and aux sends and mastering pluggins on the master track and as long as i keep the buffer high i have had no problems at all. so my question is do i realy need a seperate audio drive and what are the benefits for me?
i hope they dont have noisy fans but i wish my music did.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Avid

Default Re: Do i realy need a seperate audio firewire drive

On a vast majority of systems, using the internal hard drive is a non-starter, which is why we don't support or recommend it. If you're able to do it, then that's all well and good and it's your choice whether or not to get another drive.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:00 PM

ive actually always used my internal drive rather than my firewire external, and ive had no problems with PTLE. maybe im just one of a small percentage, but still i mostly use my system drive, and when a session is finalized i just move it to my firewire drive for safe keeping.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:41 AM

If your 30 tracks are MIDI, the hard drive speed and access isn't as important (I imagine). If they are all audio then you take the chance of it not cutting it.

On my old laptop (Dell 600M) I could record at high latency to my internal drive (for recording shows live) but when doing overdubs I always had to use an external drive. Now I have a MacBook Pro and I haven't tried to do much off of the hard drive (I'm used to using the external now).

Only other suggestion from me is to ghost your working system right now and guard that with your life. The stupidest change can kill your working system and you don't want to have to spend hours tracking it down!

002, ProTools 7.3.1cs5, MacBook Pro
Strike, Structure LE, Xpand, McDSP, Reason
More money than talent!
Old 08-10-2007, 09:39 AM

you will save yourself a lot of headache by getting one.
Once you start getting a high track count, you will probably experience problems recording to your startup drive.

you could also consider a secondary internal drive which has always worked for me as well as firewire.

get the fastest drive even if it means getting a smaller one.

glyphs are overpriced but in my experience they have out performed everything else.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:40 AM

you will save yourself a lot of headache by getting one.
Once you start getting a high track count, you will probably experience problems recording to your startup drive.

you could also consider a secondary internal drive which has always worked for me as well as firewire.

get the fastest drive even if it means getting a smaller one.

glyphs are overpriced but in my experience they have out performed everything else.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:54 PM

If you have no problems then you obviously don't need one. I'm a bit surprised you aren't experiencing any error messages in the scenario you describe though. Well, what can I say? Good for you!