Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2007, 10:02 AM

Default Midi note cutting off when loop starts over

Hello

I am new to this board and also pretty new to pro-tools and sequencing on a DAW also. I have been using cubase for years but did all of my sequencing in my MPC. Well the problem that I am haveing is making the transition to sequencing in Pro-tools. I actually am very impressed with the sequencer in pro-tools the problem I am having is that when I put it in loop midi record and I record a midi loop, drums or keys or whatever, when the loop ends and returns to the first bar the note that starts that bar is cut off. It's like it starts but then gets cut or is muted. It's not that the note is not there because for example it may be a 2 bar loop that repeats twice making it actually 4 bars. Well in the middle of that 4 bar loop at bar 3 the loop loops great, so I adjusted the lenght of the loop in the edit window from 4 bars down to 2 because I knew the loop transition worked great at that point but I still get the same problem of the note getting cut where that loop starts over. I even tried changing the loop to start at bar three and go through bar 4 to see if that would help thinking maybe I played a note wrong at the begining of bar one, but that not it it still cuts the note where the loop loops.

Before I posted I did my work by searching your forum but I could only find one post that had a similar issue and in only had 4 replies none of which actually helped my problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am really enjoying my learing experience in Pro-Tools and look forward to being a part of the information shared in this forum.

By the way I am using Pro-Tools LE with an Mbox2 on a PowerBook G4

Thanks in advance
Old 02-04-2007, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Midi note cutting off when loop starts over

Try tinkering with the position of that first note. If it's before the downbeat definitely move it to be flush, but if it's already flush then nudge it a tiny tiny bit behind the downbeat and see if that helps.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:02 PM

I will give that a try
Old 02-04-2007, 06:17 PM

I think I should give a little more information about my problem, because the suggestions that I have got so far haven't resolved the problem. The midi instrument that I am controlling is the NN-XT sampler in reasons. I have a sample from a record chopped in there and the note that is getting cut off actually gets played on the last beat of the 4th bar before the loop starts over and thats where it should be triggered. The problem is that the sample should actually continue to play into the first to beats or so of the 1st bar. The note actually does trigger at the end of the 4th bar but as soon as the cursor passes the end of bar for and loops the sample is cutoff and there is silence until the next note is triggered later in the 1st bar.

Is there a problem with samples looping in the pro-tools sequencer? like I said in my first post I am used to using the MPC for sequencing and I am a new comer to pro-tools.

Thanks Again
Old 02-05-2007, 05:27 AM

Do you have the correct tempo set?
Old 02-05-2007, 07:34 AM

Yes the tempo is correct.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:50 AM

If the last note of the loop needs to sustain over the downbeat of the first bar, perhaps you could resolve the situatioin by inserting a "sustain pedal" MIDI control message on the last note that gets cut off?

I'm not sure how you do this in ProTools, although I'm sure there must be a way! I believe the control values for sustain are 64,127. 64 being the sustain controller number, 127 being the value that says "MIDI on." ((), of course, would be sustain off...)

Don't know if that's helpful or not
Good luck!

Andrew