Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2009, 05:54 AM

Default ISA 8 channels A/D

Does anyone use the ISA 8 channel 2U rack unit with an 002?

I'm considering the difference between its converters and the Apogee rosetta 800. I think the cost including the converter in the ISA is about the same. I am wondering if using the rosetta and a really good channel strip plugin such as SSL or one of Gearbox's preamp models might be superior to the coloring of the ISA's.

Any thoughts DUCers?
We don't have the user centricity. Until we understand context, which is way beyond presence — presence is the most trivial notion, just am I on this device or not; it doesn't say am I meeting with something, am I focused on writing something. [LIST][*]Bill Gates .NET Briefing Day Speech (24 July 2002)
Old 07-03-2009, 08:07 AM

Default Re: ISA 8 channels A/D

I don't have the new 8-preamp 828, but I have the slightly-older ISA-428 which also has the eight-channel converter card. It's a bit cheaper than the 828, I believe. I also have an Apogee Rosetta 200 converter, so I'm using the Focusrite and Apogee converters side-by-side with my Digi002 Rack.

IMO, the Focusrite converters match up surprisingly well with the Apogee. They're a solid step up from the 002R converters, I think. I use them on everything from drums to bass to guitars to vocals and anything else and have never had anything but solid results.

Now, the preamps. These days I mostly use them on drums, especially toms. But they're good, useful preamps with just a little color to them. The switchable input impedance is a neat feature, as is the switchable balanced effects loop. I've had good results using one of the DI channels for bass as well. I'm not sure I'd want eight channels of them - four seems like enough to me. But then, I like using lots of different kinds of preamps on a recording. That's just me, though.

I have preamps from Neve Portico, API, Great River, Chandler Limited, Groove Tubes, FMR Audio, Toft, and Grace Design, and the Focusrite ISA-428 still has a place in my studio. They're solid, usable preamps. I think the 428 as a unit is very underrated, especially when you add the converter card. If you're looking for something with a slightly colored sound (to my ears it helps smooth out the top end just a bit), it's well worth trying out. And the converters are very good.

Just my opinion, of course. :) If you can, I highly recommend trying one out before you buy, just like any other piece of gear.

edit: I should add that I bought the ISA-428 for the preamps, then added the converter card later. A 428 with converter card is about the same price as a Rosetta 800. An 828 with converter card is about $1,000 more than the Apogee... but it has eight preamps. So you need to ask yourself if the preamps are what you want. If they are, great. Get them, then add the converter card for eight channels of conversion at a very reasonable price. But if the preamps aren't what you want, you're better off with the Apogee.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:29 AM

Thank you for your thoughtful post. I am leaning towards an uncolored Apogee 800 based on that, and modeled preamps. I'd like to get into more outboard gear, but that will have to come with time and budget.
We don't have the user centricity. Until we understand context, which is way beyond presence — presence is the most trivial notion, just am I on this device or not; it doesn't say am I meeting with something, am I focused on writing something. [LIST][*]Bill Gates .NET Briefing Day Speech (24 July 2002)
Old 07-03-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenk2k View Post
Thank you for your thoughtful post. I am leaning towards an uncolored Apogee 800 based on that, and modeled preamps. I'd like to get into more outboard gear, but that will have to come with time and budget.

Good luck, and enjoy! :) There are a lot of really good preamps out there for reasonable prices. The FMR RNP is one the leaps to mind, along with the Groove Tubes "The Brick". I think the FMR is $475 or thereabouts for two channels, while the Brick is about a hundred dollars cheaper for a single channel. I have both and use them constantly.

Just something to keep in mind.