Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2013, 06:17 AM

Default Re: AIR Instrument Expansion Pack 2.0 will NOT have Upgrade Path & IEP 1.x may be EOL

With all of this - we know that Superior Drummer 2 is superior; Vacuum Pro (which will have an aax2 upgrade) is pretty sweet, what is the best electric piano VI then? I am going to miss velvet bit can be swayed to look elsewhere!

Sent from my PT beating heart
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 07-04-2013, 06:48 AM

Default Re: AIR Instrument Expansion Pack 2.0 will NOT have Upgrade Path & IEP 1.x may be EOL

NI and Toontrack both have really decent sounding electric piano products, love Toon's EZKeys series though it's probably hard to beat Velvet. I'm wondering what would be equal to, or better than, Velvet. It's my favorite AIR VI though Vacuum Pro looks mighty tempting.

With drag & drop gone Kontakt & Structure just about have parity in my mind, plus Kontakt has won a lot of attention from 3rd party products that use it as their sample/instrument player of choice.

"I survived the Great Launch Predicaments of PT11 2013."

Last edited by kaiserpathos; 07-04-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:05 AM

Vacuum is absolutely awesome. Well worth the 99 bucks (scroll to the bottom of AIR's web page for the coupon code. Or PM me for the code - not posting here so as to not violate DUC rules). As to Velvet, I will likely just buy that and be done. I did listen to EasyKeys and they are indeed nice. Too bad AIR won't just step up and communicate - truth is easier than speculation. If be willing to code the darned update for PTIEP 1.x if I knew how to do it!

I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 07-04-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryser View Post
Too bad AIR won't just step up and communicate - truth is easier than speculation.

AIR has been equally incommunicado about their partnership with M-Audio in keyboard controllers, the AIR Axiom series, which seems to be a completely botched release with no buzz whatsoever. Today, I would give AIR the award for company with the worst communication in the entire industry -- and its had ample to time to recover from being orphaned from the Avid empire as has M-Audio.

They've lost my business for an AIR Axiom 61 and PTIEP.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissful World View Post
AIR has been equally incommunicado about their partnership with M-Audio in keyboard controllers, the AIR Axiom series, which seems to be a completely botched release with no buzz whatsoever. Today, I would give AIR the award for company with the worst communication in the entire industry -- and its had ample to time to recover from being orphaned from the Avid empire as has M-Audio.

They've lost my business for an AIR Axiom 61 and PTIEP.
Sadly I have to agree and am putting my PTIEP license and Axiom Pro 49 both up for sale.
I won't miss Hypercontrol since it's apparently not supported in 11 anyway, based on I and others are experiencing and discussing in another thread.

I can move on to AKAI or something, and operate in the NI ecosystem if I have to. NI may be late w/ AAX64 this summer, but at least there's a proven release track record here and options apart from AIR. If nothing else, I don't feel NI has ever screwed me over on anything yet.

Last edited by kaiserpathos; 07-04-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserpathos View Post

putting my PTIEP and Axiom Pro 49 both up for sale.

:< .... snip...

can move on to AKAI or something

Why would you sell the Axiom Pro 49, and replace it with an Akai?

Not only are you loosing money, but if you're doing it out of the "sticking it to the man" principle, you're just replacing it with another product from the same parent company (in music).

Don't you love it when all those anti-capitalists wear the Guy Fawkes mask from V for Vendetta, and in the process line the already bursting pockets of Warner Bros.

Even Alan Moore and Dave Lloyd don't get rich off the back of that.

Irony huh?
Old 07-04-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
Why would you sell the Axiom Pro 49, and replace it with an Akai?

Not only are you loosing money, but if you're doing it out of the "sticking it to the man" principle, you're just replacing it with another product from the same parent company (in music).

Don't you love it when all those anti-capitalists wear the Guy Fawkes mask from V for Vendetta, and in the process line the already bursting pockets of Warner Bros.

Even Alan Moore and Dave Lloyd don't get rich off the back of that.

Irony huh?
Yeah I guess Warner Bros loves that, I could care less because I'm not trying to "stick it to the man" --- they got my money already on IEP and Axiom! I'm fine with that.

As you hint, yes Axiom is a good MIDI Controller even though it seems Avid & M-Audio killed HyperControl in PT11, but since most of my MIDI keys workflow is light I could do with just selling this to somebody who wants 49 semi-weighted keys and move on with something else in the future. And when I do, yes I'm absolutely happy to avoid M-Audio and AIR down the line. I am considering Vacuum Pro despite this debacle, and probably Velvet if it's truly compelling in demo...oh wait that's right, AIR currently offers no demos!!

Dont you love it when folks show up to troll your decision on forums? C'mon, we do what we want with our gear after we purchase it. We have the right to think whatever we want of the people/companies we give our hard-earned dough to, after we do it...
Thx for the AKAI tip, btw. Completely forgot they are inMusic as well.

Last edited by kaiserpathos; 07-04-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserpathos View Post
As you hint, yes Axiom is a good MIDI Controller even though it seems Avid & M-Audio killed HyperControl in PT11...
They didn't, several people have reported that HC is working in PT11 (and it does for me as well).
Old 07-04-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ym2149 View Post
They didn't, several people have reported that HC is working in PT11 (and it does for me as well).
I should qualify "working for some in PT11" -- sure, others not and I've seen it stated HC is not supported in PT11:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...t=hypercontrol
http://community.airmusictech.com/ai...n_pro_tools_11

I'll take another look. Perhaps HC isn't working b/c I am on ML 10.8.4. I honestly don't use HC enough to miss it though.

Last edited by kaiserpathos; 07-04-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:01 PM

I knew I was doing the right thing when I moved back to hardware keyboard instruments a few years ago. Sure I still use ITB drums and occasionally use a VI. but looking back, the Prophet, Slim Fatty, Roland SH201,and the Waldorf Blofeld were not bad investments and were perfect additions to my ROM'plers. I'm not happy with Avid or Air at the moment. I'm glad I invested some money in various DAWs as well as PT 11. I'm currently not married to any one software platform.