Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 10:25 AM

Default .....And the DUC takes yet another stupid turn....

One word: Read.

What the DUC forum has become....

Enjoy your emotional rollercoast on the DUC.

~ J
www.readyacoustics.com
Old 11-09-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: .....And the DUC takes yet another stupid turn....

... are you saying one shouldn't stare at the mole nor the bad toupe ... or what?
Old 11-09-2005, 03:13 PM

It is definitely a different environment than when I first joined. There was so much useful information around the DUC back in the day, now half of it is just garbage. I think the only thing different now is that the same stupid questions arise, but people spout about it more and the threads go on and on... an on.. and on.. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to say, for god sakes just quit posting to the thread and let it die. But then I don't want to bump it back up so I just ignore it and move on. How many people replied to that guy bringing up the issue of the second hard drive? He didn't even acknowledge it, he just spewed some crap about not being a newb and flaming back. Of course the dumbass didn't read the digi recommendations. The main reason this pisses me off is because people like me look over the forums before they purchase, and they see sh*t like this all over the board and it turns them off. One of the main reasons I choose protools was because of the active community.
Sorry for the rant,
Jon
Old 11-09-2005, 03:37 PM

That's strange Jon. I joined around the same time as you. I remember the DUC as having way more off-topic posts in those days, and as a consequence it being a lot livelier. I think it's gone a bit dull and boring of late.

Sure guys come in asking questions that have (to us) obvious answers, and (my guess here) they seem to leave posting till they've tried everything they can think of and want to have a rant and end up doing it here. But they calm down, especially when they see they get some real help.

And no-one says you have to read everything that gets posted...

I don't think the DUC has much of an impact on people's buying decisions either.

My rant.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Re: .....And the DUC takes yet another stupid turn

Quote:
Sure guys come in asking questions that have (to us) obvious answers, and (my guess here) they seem to leave posting till they've tried everything they can think of and want to have a rant and end up doing it here. But they calm down, especially when they see they get some real help.
Bingo!
Old 11-09-2005, 04:09 PM

Quote:

That's strange Jon. I joined around the same time as you. I remember the DUC as having way more off-topic posts in those days, and as a consequence it being a lot livelier. I think it's gone a bit dull and boring of late.

I'll agree to that. If by off topic you mean more open discussion about other aspects of recording. There were countless threads on mics, pres, techniques, etc. Alot of the info I learned early on about non-software aspects of recording were rooted here. I turned to another board to feed that need now, unfortunately it is polluted with gear pimps and people trying to hype the gear they have purchased, in hopes of higher value? Thats what was so great about advice about these things on the DUC.

Boring? I would say yes, the rant seems more malicious now, and not as productive. Or interesting.
Jon
Old 11-09-2005, 04:09 PM

Quote:

I'll agree to that. If by off topic you mean more open discussion about other aspects of recording. There were countless threads on mics, pres, techniques, etc. Alot of the info I learned early on about non-software aspects of recording were rooted here. I turned to another board to feed that need now, unfortunately it is polluted with gear pimps and people trying to hype the gear they have purchased, in hopes of higher value? Thats what was so great about advice about these things on the DUC.

Boring? I would say yes, the rant seems more malicious now, and not as productive. Or interesting.
Jon
Old 11-09-2005, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Jon
I hardly ever post on the DUC. I guess the main reason is that I search for the answers first instead of wasting everyone's time. I really enjoy this place, and it is a shame to see it get hostile.

I guess I am not adding anything to the thread, suffice to say I wish people would get past the "I want instant gratification" posts. Read the manual or at least the stickies.