Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2001, 09:46 AM

Default ME & 98 Freezing when digi card installed

I recently got a new Dell P4 1.8G machine with XP installed so I had to install a separate drive with ME on it to get my Pro Tools working. I tried installing both 98 and ME on the drive but it would always lock up when it would look for plug and play devices during the setup. So I took out the card and it then worked fine. Once I put the card back in and try to boot ME it freezes. I had it working fine in my old machine so I'm not sure if this is P4 issue or not. When I boot up XP it works fine but when I look in the device manager it had the digi card as being an unknown Media Device and when I tried to install the wave drivers just for curiosity sake it would give me an error which is probably expected. Does anyone think that the card might be broken? If anyone could give me any insight into this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

P.S. If digi would hurry up and support XP then I wouldn't be in this mess! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2001, 04:29 PM

Default Re: ME & 98 Freezing when digi card installed

Brad,

There was a recent post regarding setting up your computer for a dual boot. I recall reading it because I intend to do just that very shortly.

One thing that could be your problem- is that appears you kept XP on, then set up your dual boot. According to the DUC thread mentioned above... you'll need to start with a fresh format and install your Win98 on WinME software first... after which you reinstall XP.

Please read that thread before you start reformatting your system!

Hope this helps
Old 12-11-2001, 04:32 PM

http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...&f=32&t=003882

this is the thread you need to look at
Old 12-12-2001, 06:03 AM

win ME and 98 won't run together in a dual boot situation as far as I know. You need to install either win 98 OR ME on one hard drive (or partiton of the same drive)first, then install win 2000 or XP on the other drive or partition of the same hard drive.
( win 2k or XP HAS to be installed last).
Use FDISK to create or delete partitons. boot up with a win 98 emergency floppy diskette to access FDISK. (type FDISK at command prompt). Be sure to back up any files you want to keep cause you have to format all partitons you create,so you will lose all information on your hard drive. Delete existing partiton then create new one/s.Each partiton is assigned a new drive letter.
After creating new partition/s reboot (still with emergency diskette in floppy drive) and type FORMAT C: then do same for each partiton FORMAT D: etc.
After formatting partitons, reboot (floppy still in and win 98 cd in) and type E:setup ( E: being the drive letter for you cdrom.) Away you go with win 98 operating system installation. (you can now take floppy diskette out.
When finished installing win 98 reboot with XP cd in drive and type E: setup again. When prompted install onto a different drive letter than win 98 went onto.
So you'll have win98 on drive C: most likely and XP on drive D:
now when you boot up you'll have the choice of which version of windows you want to run.
I run win ME and XP. you can run programs from either system no matter which one you are currently working in, with the exception of pro tools because XP doesn't recognize digi 001 .(not sure if win 98 enables this function) I would recommend XP and ME as opposed to 98 and XP.
Of course you'll have to install pro tools onto ME and boot into that environment until digidesign writes drivers to support XP.
good luck.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O