Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2011, 03:32 PM

Default Use inserts for patchbay in PTHD

Hi Forum.

Through time I found loads af help in here, but this time Iīll have to brew my 1st thread eat me, - Iīm (a) danish...:

Even though I have a HD3 and 2x192i/o, I have just a 3 preīs and like 10 outboards. Mostly comps and EQs from TubeTech and API.

When I record audio, I usually patch the signal through a little EQ and comp using a patchbay. But with so many i/o to spare, I would like to set up some insert i/o, so that I can patch my outboard gear using them on the recorded audio signal directly from Pro Tools, not using patchbay and wires anymore.

For instance: My pre goes to A3 in, my API 550b is hooked directly on my 192i/o, letīs say on A10 i/o and I can then just insert 10i/o somewhere to have my signal API processed before itīs recorded on my HDD.

I suppose itīs done easily, - I just havenīt figured it out.

Please explain me how?

Greetings from Denmark // Codo
Old 05-30-2011, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Use inserts for patchbay in PTHD

To make this completely patchless, you'd be making unnecessary conversions.

For example, you'd normal the pre to an input on the 192 only to send it right back out an Insert to your comp, using an internal buss to record.

If you normal your pres to the comps to avoid this, you'll then have to patch the comps when mixing. Bottom line, some patching will probably be needed. I'd do it on the way in if it were me. So, normal the comps to the 192 as inserts for ease in mixing, knowing you'll need to patch from pre to comp during record.

Just my 2 cents off the top of my head.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Use inserts for patchbay in PTHD

Yes, having the 192 i/o and your outboard gear i/o all connected to a patchbay is the most versatile approach. You can patch the outboard stuff as needed during recording prior to the interface and during mixing you can easily patch the outboard gear to use as inserts as needed to/from the interface.
.: Pro Tools Certified Instructor
.: Pro Tools Expert Certified in Music
Old 05-31-2011, 12:37 AM

Thumbs up Re: Use inserts for patchbay in PTHD

Thanx for the good advice. Somehow I hadnīt had conversions in mind - so Iīll keep wiring

My brain needs more RAM for all the processing