Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2007, 08:29 PM

Default Pops on punch out of destructive record

I have been working on a show, where I'm rerecording the stems back into the same session. After the first pass, I go back to make changes. I'm in destructive record, I choose my punch in point, I have a 5 second preroll. When I check the punch in point and the point where I stopped recording, occasionally there is a pop or click on the out. The ins seem to be fine. It's not consistent. Sometimes I get a pop, sometimes not. I'm running the session off a firewire 400 off a firewire PCI card(the Mojo is on the internal firewire buss). Video is off an internal drive dedicated to video.

PT 7.2cs2, dual 2 gig G5, 192, Sync I/O, HD3 Accell, Digi expansion chassis, Mojo. Waves plugs.
I think that covers it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Pops on punch out of destructive record

I've run into this on a show with the same-ish setup. recording into the same session, punching in using destructive record. I just went through the whole show and listened to the stems for pops, I couldn't figure out how to remedy it.

Help.

Dual 2.0 G5 RevB
2 gigs of ram
DVToolkit 2 PT 7.3
OS 10.4.8
Old 01-25-2007, 09:29 PM

Hi there, Charles!
You mentioned a 5-sec preroll, do you have a post roll as well? I seem to remember a post about problems w/ clicks when there's no post-roll, maybe it was 2 sec minimum?

Hope this helps

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 01-26-2007, 12:47 AM

Just as an info. I use the destructive record mode with a pre-roll of 1" and a post-roll of 11:11:11:11 (just because that's the fastest way of creating a very long post-roll).

And so far I haven't had a click or popping sound. So maybe it is the post-roll. Give it a shot.

Hope it helps,
Timothy
Old 01-26-2007, 01:28 AM

Hey,
I am running my audio off scsi drives but since destructive punch came along it has a 10ms crossfade so I use neither a pre or post roll and have never had any glitches on either the in or out. Previously with Destructive record I was using pre and post rolls as there was no crossfade. Can you clarify if its destructive record or destructivepunch you are using? I would recommend using destructive punch for this purpose; it works a lot better. Its strange that you are gettings clicks. Sorry I have no real help but thought I'd just give my experience of it.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:32 AM

Destructive record has never had any crossfading capability. Yet many people have been using it for years with no problems at all, but some have occasional problems. Destructive *Punch* (available on Pro Tools HD only)has a fixed 10 ms destructive crossfade.

Are the people here who have pop problems (and are using postroll) all using Destructive Record, or Destructive Punch?

Danny Caccavo
Product Manager
Digidesign
Old 01-26-2007, 11:14 AM

I was the earlier post I think - I was (and still do) get pops and clicks on destructive record with out a post roll. I'm still yet to get around to using destructive punch, as I'd just started training myself to set and in and out point to re-record my stems to make changes with them.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:45 PM

You have to use a postroll w/ destructive record as without it the buffer may empty prematurely on punch-out.

-jeremiah
Old 01-26-2007, 01:52 PM

Well that definitively solves that (postroll issue), but there's also another possibility: is your mix automation making a jump at the punch in/out point?
For example: I normally have my stem recorders on input (while recording), and there's always the possibility of doing a punch that doesn't "catch" the original automation properly when I punch into it. If that explanation seems cloudy, what I'm trying to describe is punching in on input means I'm not hearing what's already there (in the stem audio file), but what I'm writing, so there's a distinct possibility that there'll be a jump. I avoid this by doing the fix, and then punching in a section larger than the fix so that I'm certain the punch contains the new automation.
Anyway, possibly it's that?
Yes, I know it's a bad habit to be monitoring on input, but I've developed several time-consuming procedures to safeguard any mishaps, haha

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 01-26-2007, 01:54 PM

Oh, and I'm just using Destructive Record, not Punch

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook