Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2014, 01:06 PM

Default Switching Jumpers on the Analog Output Card to -10dBV level

Has anyone successfully switched the jumpers on the analog output card of their HD I/O card to accommodate -10dBV gear? I was unable to locate the jumpers like it mentions on page 44 of the HD IO guide. Nothing on the card looked like it could be swapped manually. Everything was machine-soldered on there.

Thanks!
Ben

From page 44:

"Switching Jumpers on the Analog Output Card
Each Analog Output card for HD I/O provides a jumper for each of the eight channels of output on the card to switch between a Hi and Lo output setting. The default setting for each jumper is Hi. This is what you want for working with pro- fessional gear that operates at +4 dBu levels.
However, if you are working with –10 dBV gear, you can switch the jumper on Analog Output card (on a channel-by-channel basis) from the default Hi position to Lo for a –6 dB pad. You can then adjust the Trim pot for the correspond- ing output channels by an additional –4 dB to accommodate –10 dBV gear.
To switch the jumpers for output channels on an Output card:
1 Remove the Output card from the HD I/O chas- sis (as described in Chapter 5, “Adding or Re- moving I/O Cards”).
2 Place the card on a stable, static free surface.
3 Using tweezers or a pair of needle nose pliers, gently remove the jumper for each output chan- nel that you want to modify.
4 Gently, but firmly, replace the jumper in the position that you want for Hi or Lo output:
• Place the jumper so that it connects the middle pin and the back pin (furthest from the DB-25 connector) for the Hi setting (this is the factory default setting).
• Place the jumper so that it connects the middle pin and the front pin (closest to the DB-25 connector) for the Lo setting (–6 dB pad).
Pin orientation on Output card
5 Replace the Output card in the HD I/O chassis (as described in Chapter 5, “Adding or Removing I/O Cards”)."
Old 03-21-2014, 03:26 AM

Default Re: Switching Jumpers on the Analog Output Card to -10dBV level

Typically a jumper will consist of 2 or 3 "pins" soldered to/thru the board, along with a plastic "rectangle" (typically black or gray) that goes down over the pins.

As noted, you can remove the jumper with tweezers or needle-nose plies, which gives you an idea of their size...quite small...maybe 1/4" long x 1/16" wide by 1/8" high.

In this case you should have eight of them in a row...numbered 1 thru 8 on the board...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 03-21-2014, 03:20 PM

Thanks, Bill. I've changed jumpers on other gear before. I'm having trouble locating them on the output card though. Have you changed the jumpers on this card before? I cannot find for the life of me find them. Should be pretty noticable if there are 8 of them!
Old 03-21-2014, 05:52 PM

Took me a little digging to find a picture of the card that was blow-uppable...I think I might have found them.

Hold the card flat, with the DB-25 connecter closest to your chest, during this...and you will be moving your eyes from the back of the card toward the front.

Starting at the back of the card (opposite the DB-25 connecter), move your eyes forward until you come to the row of silver "can" capacitors in groups of one large and two small.

Continue moving your eyes forward until you come to the row of orange capacitors, in side-by-side pairs. From the picture, this row is the next row of "tall" componentsforward from the row of "can" capacitors we just located.

Come forward to the next row of "tall" components, arranged in groups of yellow thingie-black thingie-yellow thingie, yellow thingie-black thingie-yellow thingie, yellow thingie-black thingie-yellow thingie, etc.

From the picture it looks like the "black thingies" are the jumpers.

FWIW...this is the picture I used "zoomed": http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HDioDA/

Good luck!
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 03-24-2014, 10:03 AM

Bill! Thanks so much for your post. I opened up the interface once again and was able to locate the jumpers this time. The guide made it sound like they were much closer to the front of the card. Still, I don't know how I missed them the first time! Thanks for the follow-up!

Ben