Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2008, 05:00 PM

Default where's my button!? (7.4 d control upgrade)

hey

just returned to an ICON D-control that i worked on for a long time on protools 7.2, it's since been upgraded to 7.4 and one of the buttons i used the most, the 'write to all enabled' button, formerly below the auto enable buttons has been changed!

i assume this was done for a reason and there's now a far more efficient way of working that means you don't use the 'write to all enabled' function as much, would anyone care to inform what that is?

i mainly use it to copy and paste settings. ie, locate to an area that has the eq and level that i want, suspend the automation, locate to my new area, highlight the clip, press the 'write to all enabled' button.....

and i don't like pressing ctrl+alt+/ either! i liked having a button

thanks

tom
Old 12-01-2008, 06:31 AM

Default Re: where's my button!? (7.4 d control upgrade)

Look here.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:51 AM

Hi Tom,

Write to All Enabled Parameters was removed because there are much easier ways to accomplish copying settings in a more real time fashion.

You can use the capture function which was added in PT 7.2 (found under the actions button). First turn on the latch write on stop preference. Simply locate to the area where the settings you want to copy are, then touch the parameters you want to copy (make sure the parameters you want to copy from are automation enabled first and the tracks you want to copy from are in latch mode).
The parameters you touch will flash to let you know they are ready to write. (Note to select an entire plug in, simply touch its encoder from the inserts mode). Now hit the actions button and select Capture. It will capture everything that is blinking into a buffer. Locate to the paste location and hit Punch capture. You can then roll from that point and it will write the captured settings. If you want to write to a selection hit the Write to All button.

You can even store automation captures to snapshots if you plan to use a few of them. If not, the captured settings will still remain in the buffer to paste elsewhere until you hit capture again.

The cool thing about Capture and Preview are that they are much more real time and allow you hear your changes in context with automation running. Anytime you are writing any automation on the console you can capture it on the fly and paste it to a different location.

Hope this helps

Rich Nevens
Digidesign
Old 12-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Avid

The command still exists in the Soft Keys (and of course the key command), but as you stated the new automation system allows for a better way to work now.

The nice thing about the new system is that you no longer need to turn off the global auto enables in order to write to a plug-in (or any other kind of parameter like Volume, Pan, sends etc.). You can use preview mode (or latch mode) and when things are the way you want you can hit WRITE TO ALL. The subtle difference between WRITE TO ALL and WRITE TO ALL ENABLED is that WRITE TO ALL writes the automation that is currently Primed or Previewed where WRITE TO ALL ENABLED literally writes all automation that is enabled (much more harsh).

Hope that helps,
- Lev
Old 12-02-2008, 11:41 AM

The biggest hurdle in getting used to the new system (In my opinion) is the fact that when you only want to write to a section using 'Write to all enabled' you can make a selection while you are playing -then hit 'write to all enabled' and you are all good (Automation gets written to the selected area as you would expect all other automation is left untouched).

When using 'ALL' if you make a selection while you are playing and select 'all' you will write that setting over your entire mix from beginning to end. Selections must be made in stop then you can hit play and use write to 'all' -yes I don't like this. But I do like capture and the snapshots -please it would be cool not to haft to worry about hitting a button that can wipe out my mix -

Cheers

Bruno
Old 12-02-2008, 05:22 PM

excellent. thankyou for that excellent explanation. i will try and change my ways!
Old 12-02-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBP View Post
. Selections must be made in stop then you can hit play and use write to 'all' -yes I don't like this. But I do like capture and the snapshots -please it would be cool not to haft to worry about hitting a button that can wipe out my mix -

You're absolutely right. I have made inquiries about this before and have been told that it's too invasive a change to be made quickly. It appears to be one of those "it will take an entire rewrite" kind of things.

It would be ABSOLUTELY AMAZING to be able to make selections on the fly and punch automation to them. Maybe one day!
Old 12-03-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey MTC View Post

It would be ABSOLUTELY AMAZING to be able to make selections on the fly and punch automation to them. Maybe one day!
this is what i use the "Write to all enabled" for. while playing, suspend automation, highlight regions, write all enabled, keep on going....