Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2011, 10:17 AM

Default Documentation for Surround Panner on MC Mix

Can any one point me to ANY documentation of the surround panner? I can't find any at all. What do "Attn Only", "Attn & Ctrl", "Attn & Surf", and "Multi Pan" mean?
Old 02-07-2011, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Documentation for Surround Panner on MC Mix

Sorry... I wrote MC Mix, when I meant to say MC Control. The MC Control's touchscreen has a surround panner feature, but no mention of that in any documentation I've been able to find.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:40 PM

I guess no one else has seen any documentation for the panner in MC Control either...
Old 08-04-2012, 02:07 AM

I've asked support 6 months ago how that page works and what the softkeys do (case 01824607). They said that they are currently writing the manual for that page that would be finished "soon".

They only sent some "preliminary info" from the developers:

Quote:
1. The circles with numbers within the panner are the tracks (track numbers) that are available to view/pan, according to the selections below.

2. Having the button 'Attn’ selected, this will show the pan point of the track that has the surround panner’s ‘attention’ (selected track). Multi-pan is therefore not an option.
3. ‘Attn & ctrl will show the pan point of the track that has the surround panner’s ‘attention’ as well as all the tracks that are currently banked to the Artist Control.
4. ‘Attn & surf’ will show the pan point of the track that has the surround panner’s ‘attention’ as well as all the tracks that are currently banked to appear on the whole surface.

What this means in Pro Tools is that you can select a track, the active track will appear with a yellow circle around it (unless in Multipan mode, where you can effect pans on all tracks), and basically pan the track. This functions in mono, stereo and multichannel tracks.
I wonder if the manual will ever be updated.

Frank.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:43 PM

Thanks, Frank, for the report. That's somewhat useful information they've passed along.

Accessing the corners of the room is still impossible with the surround panner.

I think the Artist Control Panner needs a big upgrade if it's ever to be useful for Pro Tools users. If it functioned more like the Panner in PT in allowing stereo panning and the link and reverse buttons it would be more useful. The Neyrinck V Control Pro V Window is a nice addition for controlling panning, but the V Window screen doesn't allow multitouch because it emulates a computer with mouse interaction. The Artist Control surround panner would be so cool if it allowed multitouch. Maybe the v3 model will deliver the goods.