Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2013, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Pro tools 7.1 help please activation

so what it looks like , i just bought the books, cds for mac and pc, but now i have to buy the license? i have an ilok and account. do they sell such pro tools this way?
Old 06-01-2013, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Pro tools 7.1 help please activation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gould View Post
so what it looks like , i just bought the books, cds for mac and pc, but now i have to buy the license? i have an ilok and account. do they sell such pro tools this way?
"They" (meaning Avid and its authorized resellers) only sell Pro Tools HD bundled with a HD/TDM core, HD Native or HDX card. (And Avid like to point out that authorized reseller do not sell on EBay). That is the only fully legitimate way you can purchase a copy of Pro Tools HD.

Sounds like you basically purchased a software install disc, which Avid will sell you for $15. You need to purchase a license -- typically from a private seller. Either by buying an iLok with a license installed on it or having somebody transfer the license asset to your iLok account (there is a small transfer charge from iLok).. the later assumes Avid has not blocked Pace/iLok doing this, as they seem to have for some recent HD assets. Licenses show up in places, like say.... EBay... where the company who sold you this box may have separately sold the iLok, and maybe also separately sold the core card it all came with.

Getting an iLok with a preinstalled license will let you use the software, but you still likely don't legally own anything as the license is not separable from the HD core card. Don't assume you can every upgrade it etc.

Darryl