Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2003, 09:12 PM

Default Anyone using plasma

I have my 2 17" monitors,one is on a dvi to vga adaptor the other on an adc to vga apaptor.

I would like to switch to dvi output to a 46"plasma.

Any ideas about switch hardware(split cables etc...)

Also what kind of quality can I expect on the plasma.

Any info on this would be great.

Thanks BT [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2003, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Anyone using plasma

I'd like to know about it too !!!

Marcello
Old 08-09-2003, 05:30 AM

Anybody? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2003, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by audio1234:
I have my 2 17" monitors,one is on a dvi to vga adaptor the other on an adc to vga adaptor.
I would like to switch to dvi output to a 46"plasma.
Any ideas about switch hardware(split cables etc...)
Also what kind of quality can I expect on the plasma.
BT [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Resolution (desktop space)((computer)
17IN LCD =1280 X 1024 or 1024 x 768
46" Plasma = 1024 x 786 (16:9 aspect)
61" Plasma = 1365 x 768
42" Plasma = 1024 x 1024
Some line double giving up to 1600 x 1200
Apples 23" LCD gives 1900 x 1200 for comparison
----
If distance is too close you will see a mask grid on some plasmas.
They do work nice at a distance for touch up editing.
Samsung will be introducing a new LCD technology in 2004 going up to 54"! Their current largest is 24"
Also keep in mind when the back light dies an LCD allows you to put in a new light. Plasma for the moment does not.
Also note your video cards resolution capabilities.

I hope this helps and as always, research for exact specifications and not word of mouth or generalized descriptions. (such as I have given)
tc
Old 08-09-2003, 07:57 AM
Avid

Also, beware that plasma screen can suffer severe burn in if an image is left on it too long, such as the white menu bar at the top of your screen. LCD tv for larger screen is probably a better idea although I would take a computer to the dealer and try it before you bought. What is crisp and sharp on a lcd monitor might not be the same on a bigger screen.
Old 08-09-2003, 08:44 AM

What would be great would be cinema display like LCDs that can accept composite video input as well as computer inputs and have remotes to adjust settings.
I know there are Samsungs that are the same size as the big Apple cinema displays that have this ability to route both computer and video inputs.
The downside of LCD is when you fast forward video the screen loses sync and auto switches to another input. Meaning you have to repeatedly switch back. At least this is the case with my Nuevo 17" LCD which I use for both a second computer monitor (VGA input) and a NTSC monitor for video projects. Also the Nuevo has no remote. Which is a major pain. Also, unless you have a matched pair of monitors for computer, there are tricky issues with resolution since the second monitor will not display correctly and/or will throw off the main monitor settings.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:42 AM

Quote:
What would be great would be cinema display like LCDs that can accept composite video input as well as computer inputs and have remotes to adjust settings.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I use a box called the planar video ex.. it takes vga- s-vid- composite and coax ins and converts these to a lcd monitor and uses a remote control....very cool.... my ntsc picture is on it.. puts 3 19" lcd monitors on the workdesk...
Old 08-09-2003, 10:00 AM

AUDIOSFX,

I've been interested getting a converter box like that in lieu of a $600 LCD TV for displaying my DV video while working in PT. I've been afraid of the quality though... is it ok?

Jeff D.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:20 PM

I can confirm the burn-in problem with plasma screens. I have a 50 inch Fujitsu 5002 plasma at home and there is a 50 inch Pioneer 503CMX here at the studio. Both suffer from the problem.

You can reduce the problem somewhat by running the plasma in low power mode, turning on the screen orbiter (a plasma feature which shifts the display pixel by pixel over time) and keeping the image adjusted correctly. Most plasma's are set way too bright for use at home or in a studio, which contributes to the problem.

Even when the brightness is turned down, static screen images tend to burn in if you leave them more than a few hours. Most of the time it goes away after a few hours of running a movie or something. However, running long sessions with a computer GUI would be a bad idea unless you can live with the burn-in.

Just the other day I turned on the studio plasma and there was a DVD menu screen burned into the display. Luckily it went away after a few hours of movies. It doesn't matter how much you tell some people about plasma burnin, they will often leave the screen running with a static image.
Old 08-10-2003, 03:18 PM

Audiosfx,

Do you find latency a problem with your LCD panel and playing video on it? And again, how is the picture?

Are you outputing VIDEO to it (via fuse card or similar) or is it a quicktime video (VGA style hookup).

Cheers!