Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2001, 12:15 AM

Default Using a plasma monitor w/PT

Anyone have success with this? Being at the computer 8+ hours a day my eyes sure could use a break!

What things do you need to look for to make this work? ie..inputs on the monitor itself and outputs on the Mac/video card?

Thanks!

Donnie
Old 12-01-2001, 01:17 AM

Default Re: Using a plasma monitor w/PT

Yes, the difference is amazing. Not only on the eyes but on everything else since one is sitting in front of what is called an "electron gun" in that TV like monitor.

Get the flat screen.

They are usually VGA which is a universal
i/o for both PC and MAC. Using only one
monitor is advized unless you seek out a known dual monitor PCI card. All the new macs can run the legendary Cinema screen.

The coolest is a 17 pivotable to verticle,
View Sonic monitor.

Good luck
Old 12-01-2001, 01:24 AM

Jamer,

Thanks for the reply! I was actually referring to the larger 42-60" models by companies like Samsung, Sony, NEC, etc. I know that they take SVideo connections and several others but I wasn't sure which sound card actually have these type of outputs.

Thanks!

Donnie
Old 12-01-2001, 08:20 PM

I just connected a JVC 42" plasma TV on the wall in a lobby of a big building. It's only using the composite video input, but there is a computer input. It is a VGA input but the input connectors are a set of five BNC connectors. Red, Green, Blue, Horizontal sync, and vertial sync. A special cable will convert the regular VGA computer output to these five BNCs. I have not seen this plasma TV connected to a computer, but the video quality is great. It should be great, it cost $8000 (list price $10,000). As soon as I started hooking it up I was dreaming of using it for PT. Maybe some day.
Old 12-02-2001, 12:13 AM

Yeah, what got me thinking about this was going to NAMM this past summer and seeing several vendors displaying their presentations via these large plasma monitors so that everyone could see. Of course, I didn't have the common sense to ask how they were doing it though.

Also how about the HDTV's? they are much cheaper ($3000 range for up to a 60) would that work with something like dazzle?

Just a thought.....this seems like a really good idea for showing projects to clients.

Donnie
Old 12-03-2001, 01:15 PM

I just tried it with a SONY 42" plasma display because I was curious too. It looks pretty good. Not as sharp as a CRT display or a TFT flat panel but not nearly as bad as those VGA -TV convertors.

The Sony has (2) HD-15 connectors for up to two CPU's and a variable aspect ratio so you can fill the screen. It also has a S-Video jack on it and if you happen to have the Dual Head AGP card from Promax, you can setup one of the monitors to output to S-video. Not bad for those long runs from the machine room!

The Protools screen (actually the Mac OS box around it) does a bit of flicker because of its small straight lines in the title bar but you get used to it fairly fast. Its a darn expensive CPU monitor I have to say though!

Cheers,
-Polaris