Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2004, 11:07 PM

Default Questions for knowledgeable PT users.

Pro Tools

I'm setting up my new HD2 Accel system, and I've been toying with a few features. Everything is coming together nicely, except I have a few questions for those who are PT savvy.

1) I'll be using quite a few soft-synths (Mach 5, Spectrasonics, B4, BFD, dfh). Regarding the picture above, are the settings in the Playback Engine correct? I know people have had probelms if the settings aren't right.

2) My keyboard modules are connected to the Control 24. The C24's Line-Out is connected to the 192's analog In 1-8. When recording live instruments, I'd rather bypass the C24's preamps, and connect my outboard preamp's directly to the 192. I do have a D-Sub connector (25pin to FXLR). My question is, if the C24's Line Output is already connected to the 192's analog 1-8, how would I connect the other D-Sub?

A) Can I connected the C24's Line Output to the 192's (-10dbv) for my modules and, connect my external pre's to the 192's (+4dbu)?

B) Is the above impossible, and should I just get another 192 AD Expansion card, or what's another alternative?

3) How do you edit PT, and "Save" it as your master template?

Thanks in advance for your help. It's appreciated.
Dean
Old 07-22-2004, 06:12 AM

Default Re: Questions for knowledgeable PT users.

Regarding the softsynth issue, you'll want to bump up your CPU usage considerably in order to get a decent plug-in count. Ours lives in the neighborhood of 85% or more usually. Depending on how big your session is, you may find it necessary to increase the playback buffer size too, but that's one you might want to adjust as needed, as it slows down playback response times. With regards to your other issues, get a patchbay. It's the only way to go to get the best flexibility from your Control24. You could normal it to be as you described, but do yourself a favor and get a patchbay...
Old 07-22-2004, 06:55 AM

Making templates in PT is simple. Get all of your mixer configured the way you like it (number of channels, routing, plug ins, etc.) and save the session. Go to the finder, select the session and click "get info" for the session file. In the info panel click the Stationary Pad check box and close tha "get info" box. When you double click on the session file you will be given the option to edit this template or create a new session based on it's setup.

All this assuming you are using a Mac.

Have fun.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:52 AM

Another way to work besides templates is to import tracks from "template" files.

If you use the same bussing/monitoring/cueing/effect sends/returns frequently, you can call on your "library".

I find this to be very useful and saves hours.

Import tracks preserves I/O labels (if you want) and the prefs are abundant.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:01 AM

TLarvenz,

Thanks for the information. As fas as a patch bay is concerned, what model would you recommend? Also, with a D-sub connected to the +4 on the 192, if I had my keyboard modules connected to my preamps, could I then connect it via the +4?

I appreciate your time.

Borgbilly and Jeremy, thanks for your help too.

Dean
Old 07-23-2004, 01:34 AM

Any other suggestions regarding connections of my keyboard modules?

Thanks in advance.
Dean
Old 07-23-2004, 11:26 AM

I highly recommend Bittree TT patchbays. Check out their E3 rear panel option. It uses a nice molex style termination. They wire very quickly and are constructed of the best quality components. They also have solder type termination bays, but you have to be a masochist to wire more than 50 points in one of those. The molex can be wired in one sixth the time. The Bittrees are pricey, but the last place you want to cheap out is your patchbay.

web page
Old 07-23-2004, 12:36 PM

Borgbilly -- Thanks for the link, I appreciate it.

Dean