Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2012, 10:19 PM

Default Issue w/ 11R on Lion (USB Audio Held off H/W Buffer)

I have a new Eleven Rack purchased with PT LE 8.

I can work fine for about 15-20 minutes, and then I get the dreaded "CPU Usage is Holding off USB Audio" / "Increase H/W Buffer Size" blah blah blah.

Once I get this error, Pro Tools is entirely useless until I completely reboot my computer. It won't play a split second of audio. It doesn't matter how high I set the buffer or how many plugins/tracks I remove.

So, I thought I would upgrade to PT10 since PT8 isn't qualified for Lion. But, I still get the EXACT same problem. PT10 isn't any more stable for me.

I have an old external, mirrored backup drive with Snow Leopard on it, so I booted from that drive and installed PT8 and it runs GREAT. I've worked for hours without a problem with tons more plugins active.

I did another test in PT10 on Lion and switched the playback engine to Built-In Output - that seems to work too.

So, to me it seems like there is an issue with running the Eleven Rack on Lion. Is anyone else having this problem? Any ideas on how to fix it? I have already updated my Eleven Rack firmware/drivers in an attempt to fix it. I've tried changing to the internal clock and only running it at 48K. No difference.

Here are my specs:
iMac 27" i5 2.66GHz 8GB DDR3 OSx 10.7.2 (10.6.8 backup)
Eleven Rack Firmare 1.0.3 Build 0.6.2.0 Driver 1.0.5
Pro Tools 10.0 (or 8.0.5)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Issue w/ 11R on Lion (USB Audio Held off H/W Buffer)

Hello? Anyone?
Old 01-19-2012, 09:04 PM

Yes, I am having the same problem. My specs are almost identical to yours. Unfortunately this goes beyond just this set up and avid seems to have no solution. I have talked to tech support at length with no resolution. There are other threads with similar errors that seem related. Hopefully avid will get on this cause right now PT 10 is not tolerable.

The only thing I have been able to do is a complete shutdown of my iMac which works sometimes and will give me a few hours of uninterrupted recording.

Sucks, I know.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:28 PM

Thanks for the response - I'm glad to hear I am not the only one, but it certainly does suck. I typically only get about 15-20 minutes of work before PT becomes unusable and I have to do a complete reboot. I'm a little disturbed by the lack of response from Avid....... I think I am going to contact Sweetwater, where I purchased the 11R. Hopefully they can help get some answers.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:28 AM

When I restart my computer after the same error, then reopen the song in PT, I notice that my Mac Activity Monitor shows about 35% personal usage in spite of my Pro Tools CPU saying 6%.

When I move to Studio One, same tune, track count, plugs, etc. my activity meter shows 6% on a tune just like the cpu meter in Studio One.

Studio One Pro V2 and Reaper will run all day using my set up. Pro Tools 10 is becoming unusable as it seems to get worse with time, or the moon and tides, or something.........

Avid really needs to get this on their fix list. It is making Pro Tools 10 unusable...and that pisses me off!
Old 01-22-2012, 09:01 AM

Has anyone been able to fix this? I'm going nuts trying to find a solution....and no luck yet!

Thanks.