Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2009, 06:13 PM

Default Firmware in 002 rack not updating

I have a generic FireWire card and the software gets to about 90% on updating the firmware on the rack unit and quits without completing the update. I talked to tech support and they suggested one of the cards listed here, however it only refers to the Mbox and external drives and not the 002 rack.

I've done all the system tweaks and performance settings that Digidesign recommends and even went further and did some special system settings like disabling DEP.

Before I go purchase another FireWire card can someone tell me if this would definitely solve the problem? Or, could there be another cause?

Digidesign recommended FireWire/1394 Controller PCI Cards:

* ADS PYRO PCI 64R2
Part Numbers:
o API-315 (RoHS compliant)
o API-311 (discontinued)
Bus type: 64-bit PCI

* SIIG 1394 3-port PCI i/e
Part Numbers:
o NN-440012-S8 (RoHS compliant)
o NN-440012 (discontinued)
Bus type: 32-bit PCI

My system spec's:
Windows XP Professional, Sv Pk 2
ASUS P4P800SE, Intel 865PE Northbridge and Southbridge
Intel 3.0GH Processor
1 GB Ram
7200 RPM IDE drives configured at 32bit
System is configured for recording and audio editing only
Old 10-27-2009, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Firmware in 002 rack not updating

The answer depends on what the present firewire controller is. If its a TI chip, then it SHOULD work, but if it not a TI, then getting an approved firewire card is mandatory for using the 002(and hopefully would cure the firmware update problem as well). Keep in mind that those firmware updates sometimes need to be run a few times before it actually succeeds.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-28-2009, 07:25 AM

Are you saying that the chip set on the firewire card needs to be a TI (Texas Instruments) chip? I don't think it is or at least I don't see that anywhere on the box in the spec's. I've already tried multiple times to do the update but no joy.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:20 AM

Yes, it should be a TI chip set. If you follow this link
Compatibility & Upgrades
you can find some approved firewire cards.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:35 AM

Thanks, I've already read most of that. I'll pick up one of their recommended cards.

How important is it for the firmware to match the version of Pro Tools? It works fine from what I've been able to observe.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:50 PM

OK, this is incredibly ridiculous. I bought one of the recommended (ADS Tech) Firewire cards with the TI chipset and it still won't update the firmware. I'm using one of the highest quality shielded firewire cables, I set up all the windows configurations and have conformed to everything the Digidesign tech support people require and it still won't update.

Is there a way force this thing to accept the firmware update?

Is there something wrong with LE v7.1?

Is there a reason to update it anyhow?

This is really driving me nuts now. I've sat here all afternoon restarting Pro Tools to update. Probably over a dozen times now.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:14 PM

What happens if you cancel the firmware update?(or click LATER" or whatever the other option is as I can't remember). It may well work just fine(a little finger crossing won't hurt). I'm at a loss as to why its not working for you. The worst I ever had was once when it took 3 attempts to go thru(I can't remember which version). As for upgrading, PT8 gives you Elastic Audio, Elastic Pitch, MiniGrand, DB-33 and a bunch of AIR plugins and is well worth it(to me anyway). Be forewarned that some 3rd party plugins would need updating(all my Waves plugs needed it).

Old 11-03-2009, 07:29 AM

Well that's the $1000 question I guess. Will it work fine without updating. I've used Pro Tools and other multi-track programs before so I know when they're not working correctly. I guess I'll just have to take a wait and see approach. This is really frustrating though since I've taken all the steps to solve it but nothing has worked so far.

The firmware on the rack unit is v.1.08 and the software wants to update it to v.1.21. I assume that Digidesign made some important changes to the way the recording software communicates with the rack unit but I just don't know. Is there any way to find out and see it it's critical or just an annoyance?