Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2022, 07:57 PM

Default Protools 12 "quit unexpectedly" work around

Mac OS High Sierra
iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011)

The issue stems from the program unable to locate missing files during the load process apparently. I've tried everything to remedy this issue. Program cooperates tentatively, then goes back to crashing with the stupid "quit unexpectedly" error message. Maddening!!!

Protools 12 has been EXTREMELY unforgiving.

So after wasting another hour on this (after repeatedly trashing preferences, restarting, optimizing for Protools per Avid's advice, etc.) I try something else I hadn't previously and it worked!

I opened the project in Protools 11 instead, and no finickiness. Knock wood this trend continues tomorrow because I must get this project finished. So annoying when you're working on something and then Protools crashes and you waste precious time struggling to find a solution so you can just get your work done!

I'll be easing my way OUT of Protools and working in another DAW (Probably Cubase) soon. I just can't take it any more. Too many issues, Too much instability. I just want to get my work done already. I've worked in other DAWS (Logic and Nuendo), and I never remember problems with them as I've encountered with Protools.

My plan basically is to use Protools only when accessing projects created there, but now start working in Cubase for newer projects. That's my story!

I've certainly learned that no DAW is completely frustration free, but just by seeing the tremendous amount of issues written about in this forum regarding Protools, I have arrived at the conclusion that there MUST BE a better way, a saner way to work on music!

Anyway, I hope this tip helps those who may have an earlier version of Protools on their machine, if they're getting the Quit Unexpectedly error in Protools 12, followed by repeated crashing.

Lisa:)
Old 01-31-2022, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Protools 12 "quit unexpectedly" work around

Glad you found a solution, but you should know that P11 is far from supporting High Sierra. Also PT12 doesn't support HS before the very latest dot release.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart
Old 01-31-2022, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Protools 12 "quit unexpectedly" work around

Thanks for that info Ben. Yeah...I'm really only using PT 11 for this one piece that kept crashing. Very sad how everything gets outdated and turns into a dinosaur with Apple

Hence, another reason to consider working in Cubase, or at least having that as a secondary option.