Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2008, 11:18 AM

Default Elastic Audio and X-Form need help

A question:

When I test a tempo change in Real-Time Processing, then Disable Elastic Audio, it renders quickly and clearly doesn't get the benefit of X-Form processing. If I change that track to X-Form, it takes a long time to render a warped region, or many.

Why is it, then, if I Disable Elastic Audio with X-Form currently enabled, does Pro Tools take a glacial amount of time to Commit those tracks, when surely the X-Form processing that I already endured, did the heavy lifting?
Old 05-19-2008, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Elastic Audio and X-Form need help

C'mon guys, you're making me feel like a trailblazer.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:20 PM

I have to agree with you, I don't understand this. If I put a track into x-form processing, the track is processed as expected with great results. But if I then want to send the file to, say a Logic user, I need to disable Elastic audio and commit the track. But since the audio is rendered, why does the file get re-rendered (and as noted above) taking a very long time. Try doing this with long 5.1 tracks and you will see the problem.
It seems like there is some sort of double rendering going on. This seems redundant.
my 2c
Simon L.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:19 PM

As I understand it, as long as Elastic Audio is enabled on a track with "Rendered" status all that is rendered is an analysis file. The actual audio is not altered. This is why when editing the tempo or audio in a track in Rendered mode there is a moment while the analysis file is recalculating and the overview gets greyed out. It's not until Elastic Audio gets turned off and you decide to commit that the audio file itself gets rendered.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:40 AM
Avid

Yes, this is unfortunate. What it's doing on commit is rendering additional "handles" to accommodate crossfades, trimming, etc. But due to the nature of the plugin, it has to re render each whole region in order to do get these additional bits. We don't render those extra handles normally because it adds a tremendous amount of time for users with lots of edits working in render mode.

Your concern is a valid one though, and I can look into which behavior would benefit the majority of users who are rendering.

Paul Vercellotti
Avid Engineering
Old 05-23-2008, 02:55 PM

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:24 PM

Waiting for the rendering wouldn't be so painful if it could use your full processing power to do it. Usually, I can't do anything else with my project until the rendering is finished. So it is quite painful to wait while the CPU is only being used up by 25%. Then to have to go through it all over again when you commit the audio is even more painful.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio