Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2011, 11:09 AM

Default Opening Venue.. use Venue?

I've been ghosting the forums for a very long time. Never needed to post really because everything has pretty much been asked and answered twice. Now im looking for advice more than having questions.

I and about 5 other friends have taken interest in opening a small-mid size venue. Im really the only one with any audio knowledge which is okay. We all have different roles really for business wise. I am an audio engineer like the many people on here. However I mainly just use equipment and really dont know much about it. Ive majored in audio so I do know things, but, Venue is new to me.

Im interested in the SC48. The price seems high, but choosing an ICON Dcommand, it seems id have to pay another 10k for another set of sliders. While the SC48 is usually around 15k? or no? I would prefer to start with refurbished equipment because its cheaper and usually will work better than new because its been looked at a lot.

We only plan on the FOH mixer board. Dont need anymore since im only looking to fit like 500 tops

But basically i need the pro's help deciding what the best options are for my needs.

For starts im looking at the SC48 so i can record live into pro tools. I Was looking at speakers and there are so frickin many out there i got lost.. But the bose III deluxe package they have really caught my eye. its around 6k for 4 powered subs and 4 of the Bose III loudspeakers. I was hoping this would help keep a clean look, yet be powerful enough to blow the doors off (not really lol) but you know what i mean. I Always choose quality over quantity.

But i guess i should say i dont know where the hell to start. a mixer, some speakers? i need help with the gear. Im not familiar with names of it all. I just use it at the moment lol. What kinda prices are we lookin at to be able to have someone plug their guitar in and the sc48 route it to sound and pro tools i guess?

as you can see im lost on where to start lol. thanks for any help!
Old 06-20-2011, 11:36 AM

Default Re: Opening Venue.. use Venue?

I think that you need a lot more help than what you can get here. You need an experienced systems integrator who can help you figure out an entire system and who can recommend the right combination of products for your application.

you can feel free to contact me directly about this if you like:
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:06 PM

+1 for what Eddie said. Get someone qualified to help you out. If in your mind Bose = quality (as it relates to a live music venue) you're in way over your head. Though you're going in the right direction as far as consoles. For the money the SC48 is absolutely the way to go.

BTW, hello again Eddie. I bought a PT HD2 Accel rig and C|24 from you in 2008 for an LI band I was working with. How are things?
Old 06-21-2011, 06:54 AM

bose are nice but they have a specific use. its key to assess what your venue plans on putting on for shows and entertainment and then choose the PA to fit.

ive been a SC48 user since the day it rolled off the line and the price cant be beat.

as eddie said...getting a key person to help plan your system will save you time and money in the long run.

feel free to drop me a line if you need anything. most of us here are more than happy to help.

Venue SC48
Macbook 13"
HP 2525TX Tablet
Motion Tablet LE1600
Mac Mini 2.6 dual core with 1TB 4gig Ram
Old 06-21-2011, 07:17 AM

I think(as an independent engineer) that the SC48 is nearly impossible to beat when it comes to features vs price vs sound. As for speakers, the dimensions of the room and the required coverage make a major influence on what speaker system to go with. Personally, I am a line array fan(but not every room is a good candidate). QSC Wideline10 can cover a lot of ground, but might be pricey for you. Some will scoff, but the Peavey VersArray is a great little system, and 3-4 per side with proper subs can do a fine job(if their coverage pattern fits your room).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-21-2011, 07:29 AM

Thanks! I figured i was dippin into the deep end with the information i was lookin for lol. As for Bose, ive never been let down yet from them thats why i kinda like to stick with them. I want superb quality with fewer speakers. I dont know brands for equipment so im at a loss there, and i dont know where to find the guys that put systems together either lol. How much should i be paying someone to build a system for me?

As for what would be playing there, probably mostly local bands maybe speech seminars here and there. church on sundays? who knows lol. but targeting music, which i like loud and clear.

As an example ill use my car lol. I have a 500watt mono amp pushing two JL 8w7. Those are JL audios top of the line speaker drivers. 8" w7 series most accurate subwoofer on the market is said. They dont miss a single note from the lowest of lows to the highest of highs. They can make the best mastered mix sound even better. I want sound that people wont forget. I just need the right speakers i would think more so than the amps. But i feel for some reason there is better for my application. I want a pro to be like "damn that sounds nice" but remember smaller venue

and about the SC48, would it be possible to get these at a discounted rate or refurb? I just feel like this is going to be one of the more expensive pieces of equipment. How much should i be paying for one of these. Im a guy that still shops at musiciansfriend and sweetwater and i feel im missing something cuz they want upwards of 20k for the sc48. does it come with its own software and PT? or just Venue
Old 06-21-2011, 07:40 AM

i really wish there was a template for your solution. smaller venues require special attention especially depending on the type of shows you plan on putting on.

i love those JL's...first subs i ever put in my truck. they are truly amazing. but your car is far from a venue.

some pics and dimensions will go along way with helping to suggest a setup for you.

Venue SC48
Macbook 13"
HP 2525TX Tablet
Motion Tablet LE1600
Mac Mini 2.6 dual core with 1TB 4gig Ram
Old 06-21-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidmix View Post
+1 for what Eddie said. Get someone qualified to help you out. If in your mind Bose = quality (as it relates to a live music venue) you're in way over your head. Though you're going in the right direction as far as consoles. For the money the SC48 is absolutely the way to go.

BTW, hello again Eddie. I bought a PT HD2 Accel rig and C|24 from you in 2008 for an LI band I was working with. How are things?
Great- was that for Land Baron Productions? How are you guys doing?
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Old 06-21-2011, 08:34 AM

You can contact me about SC48- I might be able to source a 'B' stock SC48 from the InfoComm show. Could save you a little : )
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Old 06-21-2011, 09:58 AM

Well I can't say I'm ready to dip into buying the SC-48 just yet, but I do feel more comfortable getting it through the forums rather than paying the 20k lol. As for figuring out what setup would suite me best im curious as to what all the SC-48 can give me vs. just using say maybe an a&h or mackie mixer. Does having the sc-48 eliminate a need for other equipment? I want pro tools everything so i like the idea of this board being integrated with pro tools.

Do i use a mac instead of building a pc just to keep it simple? always wondered that. But what should i be looking into for finding the speakers that would work best for me? I can figure out what I need for size and types I just can't figure out what's best and where to look at it lol. Who makes these "line array" setups, I've never had a way to figure them out.

How much would you expect to pay for a top of the line live audio setup for small venue around 300 people, which would usually have around 5 person bands.

i was expecting 15k for sc48, 10k on speakers and amps, another 10k for mic pres and stuff, 3-5k for mac, 15k lights. Kinda see the basics im looking for? I appreciate all the help, i know its rough to work with with lol.