Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2011, 12:41 PM

Default MIDI with PT Native and Omni I/O system?

I'm about to replace my old 001 with PT Native and Omni I/O that will be on an 8 core 2.26 GB with SL. I just realized that the Omni has no MIDI I/O.

Given that the MIDI I/O is discontinued and that MIDI is not mentioned in the Omni user guide, can anyone advise on the best MIDI interface that works with Pro Tools 9/Native/Omni? If I could locate a Digi Midi I/O used, would I be better off with it rather than a MOTU MIDI Express?

Any other tips on using MIDI with this PT system greatly appreciated. TIA,

JoeM
Old 01-22-2011, 12:50 PM

If you have newer MIDI equipment thats USB you may be able to forgo a MIDI interface entirely.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-22-2011, 07:32 PM

Default Re: MIDI with PT Native and Omni I/O system?

When you say "PT Native", you mean HD Native, correct? I'm assuming you already know that the Omni will only work with an HD Native Card and PT HD 9.

As far as the midi, it's a lot easier nowadays to use midi over usb directly with the computer. Especially on a Mac.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
If you have newer MIDI equipment thats USB you may be able to forgo a MIDI interface entirely.
My studio's MIDI gear is all older and none have USB, things like an Obie Matrix 1000, Roland's JV1080 and JV880, among others. I also use a Casio MG-510 MIDI guitar. With the 001, I was actually still using an Opcode Studio 4 running through a Stealh serial port with my PPC 933 G4 and all worked fine. I expect I will update or replace most things but I will need to keep the MIDI gear I have for the time being.

At first I was wondering if there was any point in using my existing MIDI setup thru the PPC in conjunction with a USB MIDI interface connected to my new PT system but I imagine it's probably best to just get a new USB interface.

Was wondering if a used Digi MIDI I/O has any benefit over say a Motu I/O?
Thanks!
Old 01-23-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
When you say "PT Native", you mean HD Native, correct? I'm assuming you already know that the Omni will only work with an HD Native Card and PT HD 9.

As far as the midi, it's a lot easier nowadays to use midi over usb directly with the computer. Especially on a Mac.
Yes, you are correct, the Native card with the Omni I/O. I'm also getting a UAD-2 quad card with the Neve bundle.

As I mentioned above, I have some older MIDI modules that I'd still like to be able to use for now. Thanks!