Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Waves Audio AAX DSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
Fellas, just a have a listen to the UA versions of what Waves have attempted to model, and you'll care less about AAX DSP support!
Are UA plug ins Aax?

For all those people thinking they are going to loose session recallability, print stems! You will always be able to play a wave file.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Fellas, just a have a listen to the UA versions of what Waves have attempted to model, and you'll care less about AAX DSP support!
Great as UA are (and they are!) if you have already invested in Waves you don't want to spend again. People who have sizable Waves bundles don't want to have to spend more money.

That's the real point I paid for TDM DSP I paid my WUP I expected (my assumption, not a legal right) that this would include AAX DSP in the future, I'd even pay a fee to crossgrade my Waves TDM to AAX DSP like Sonnox say if it came to it. As a Waves user this is disappointing.

I don't get all the fuss re recalls though, as I still have RTAS versions included and as Waves will be doing AAX Native, I have recalled mixes with Waves plug ins from over 5 years ago and I've had no issues.

But......I want DSP versions. I will do my next wup but I will not be doing the next upgrade which is something I've been doing for a few years now, gradually using the WUP credit to increase my waves collection. That's Waves loss and at that point if I want a certain plug in I'll be looking at their competitors.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:44 AM

Waves themselves say . We have no plans to support AAX dsp at this time but will be supporting AAX native in the future .

Thats not an exact quote but we've all read it .

AVID says there is only one line of code difference between AAX native and dsp.
So would it not make sense that if Waves does indeed support AAX native as they say they will that they would write the 1 extra line of code for AAX dsp to effectively double there product line in 1 line of code.

OF COARSE THEY WILL.

What they don't say is if they are planning to port anything at all or write completely new plugins from scratch!!!! This of coarse would mean WUP would not apply because it is not the format in which it was purchased.
So all new AAX plugs most likely the same as the old but not marketed as ported or WUP cross gradeable.
Now they get to sell every plug all over again. Very clever actually !
I don't think Iv seen this point of view written and I imagine its because everybody's crossing there fingers hoping this doesn't happen.

WAVES will eventually go DSP I will bet my AAX on it .
Old 09-11-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
But the UA plugins are not P Tools DSP plugins. They introduce considerable latency and, therefore, cannot be tracked through. Where's the advantage over Waves? You have the same basic capabilities and limitations with both Waves AAX Native and UA's outboard DSP system.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:32 AM

Werner, I think he's referring to the real hardware units. I too like my 1176 HW but recall is so much easier on a plugin.

As I have been filling my plugin folder with DSP options from Softube as well as Native versions from Brainworx which will soon be DSP, my Mercury bundle has been sitting in the closet. Even if they DSP the Mercury bundle, I'm getting results well beyond my previous mixes which were primarily filled with Waves. I'm getting that big grin when I go from Bypass to Play on the Bx-XL and Bx-Digital. I haven't had that wow for a long time. So in a way, HDX has forced me to explore other options which have indeed brought everything I do to a new level.

Regarding comments I keep hearing that with the latest computers (which I am using), you don't need DSP. This is crock. I loaded an older session that was filled with Waves (now as Native), tried to do a simple guitar overdub and had to set my buffer to 512 to avoid the CPU error and session halting. I had to inactivate about 30 pug-ins to be able to go to 128 which was the highest buffer I could use and live with the mild latency. I never thought about latency in the TDM world and my buffer was set at 64. What a pain.

DSP and tracking are a must. Overdubs are impossible if you already have a session loaded with Native plug-ins.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
But the UA plugins are not P Tools DSP plugins. They introduce considerable latency and, therefore, cannot be tracked through. Where's the advantage over Waves? You have the same basic capabilities and limitations with both Waves AAX Native and UA's outboard DSP system.
I've only recently gotten them so I haven't been able to try it out, but they do have a "live mode" where you are supposed to be able to track through them.

The advantage is that they sound SIGNIFICANTLY better than Waves'. It's pretty comical actually, I used to think Waves' modeling was pretty good. UA's 1176 from 2001 stomps all over the CLA 1176 as does the Pultec and Neve models. Not to mention the new 1176 they just released that is supposed to be even better, can't wait to hear it.

I'm just throwing this out there as a point of reference as to the quality of Waves' models and the impact it's had on whether I give a [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] if Waves does anything.

guess you can't type s h i t.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:04 AM

Long time TDM user here, and Waves customer since the original Gold bundle ... I am a full time composer with a project studio used only for my work.
I've upgraded along the way, and have owned the Mercury bundle for some time.

My last Digi hardware upgrade was to move from PCI-X to PCI-E. I needed a new Mac, and thus, since I didn't want to use an expansion chassis, I needed boards that would fit in my MacPro. This "upgrade" came at a significant cost with little to no gain in ProTools performance.

I had a long conversation with Waves a few months ago. My experience with Waves has been nothing but positive over the years, and this exchange was no different. The representative was candid, and sensitive to the situation that many of us are in. I was left with a pretty simple conclusion. If it made economic sense for Waves to transition to AAX, they would/will do so.

As for me, I'm not yet willing to throw away the dollars and experience that I have invested in Waves. That said, [and I hope SOMEONE FROM AVID sees this] at this point in time, I would upgrade my Digi/AVID hardware in a heartbeat if I could use AAX versions of my Mercury bundle.

I'm not saying that I won't eventually have my hand forced, as I also have significant experience invested in ProTools, but for now, I wish Avid would consider providing Waves with incentive to port their plugs.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I've only recently gotten them so I haven't been able to try it out, but they do have a "live mode" where you are supposed to be able to track through them.

The advantage is that they sound SIGNIFICANTLY better than Waves'. It's pretty comical actually, I used to think Waves' modeling was pretty good. UA's 1176 from 2001 stomps all over the CLA 1176 as does the Pultec and Neve models. Not to mention the new 1176 they just released that is supposed to be even better, can't wait to hear it.

I'm just throwing this out there as a point of reference as to the quality of Waves' models and the impact it's had on whether I give a [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] if Waves does anything.

guess you can't type s h i t.
Drew, when you get a chance could you try out the alledged "tracking mode" and let us know how it works out. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:50 AM

Hey guys,

Forgive me if I am not in the know as I have yet to upgrade my HD rig to PT10, but I was watching a recent video over at Pensado's place, and in some cases he has brought up some Waves instances and in the little pulldown plugin menu I see he has some instantiated as DSP and some as Native. How is this possible???

Last edited by dwaynedelario; 09-12-2012 at 08:55 AM. Reason: upload image
Old 09-12-2012, 10:41 AM

It must be an HD system. They are called DSP in Po Tools 10 HD, but not in HDX as there are no Waves DSP plugins available.
Closed Thread