Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2015, 02:59 PM

Default Bank/Patch Change Behavior

I’m moving from Guitar Rig Pro 5 to the 11R. I’m still using the Rig Kontrol 3 as a foot controller. I may be losing my mind here—but when I first hooked up my 11R, I swear I that Program Change messages from the RK3 would only change patches from within the selected bank on the 11R. So if I’m playing patch D1, Program change 4 went to D4, Program Change 3 went to D3, etc.

Now, it seems the 11R behaves differently—absolute Program Change numbers are all that matters. Program 1 is A1, but 5 is B1, 6 is B2, etc.

First question: am I crazy? Did it not happen like that at first? Could be true.

2nd question: Does anyone know how to achieve the first behavior (switch patches only within the currently selected bank)? I want to change banks myself, and then use the foot pedals to change within the bank. Otherwise I need 100 foot pedals to change to each patch. I do have Midi Translator Pro (highly recommended) so anything is possible.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:17 AM

Default Re: Bank/Patch Change Behavior

I have no idea. I've never used that pedal. You'll need to look at what exactly the pedal is sending and compare that to the MIDI list for the Eleven Rack, its in the back of the manual or the end of the User Options on the rack itself.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 06-21-2015, 09:50 PM

I can hardly imagine the first scenario being realistic. The 11r listens to Midi Program Change Commands. These commands are "hardwired" to the respective presets, i.e. MIDI PC "00" initiates A1 on the 11r, "01" calls A2, "02" calls A3, "03" calls A4, "04" calls B1 etc.
There is no way to change that assignment within the 11r.
This means if you want to "stay" within a certain bank you would have to program your control pedal to send MIDI pc commands 00 through 03 ONLY - and on ALL buttons you hit. So if you have a pedal with 10 buttons you would have to tell it to send "00" on button 1, "01" on button 2, "02" on button 3, "03" on button 4, "00" on button 5, "01" on button 6 and so on. Or (might be more useful) not to send MIDI PC commands at all on buttons 5 and up, but use them for other stuff instead (MIDI CC to switch effect blocks on and off).
This process of assigning the buttons to send certain PC commands (and not just incremental increase) is called MIDI mapping.
I don't know your pedal, but I doubt it was MIDI-mapped in this way.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealmf View Post
This means if you want to "stay" within a certain bank you would have to program your control pedal to send MIDI pc commands 00 through 03 ONLY - and on ALL buttons you hit. So if you have a pedal with 10 buttons you would have to tell it to send "00" on button 1, "01" on button 2, "02" on button 3, "03" on button 4, "00" on button 5, "01" on button 6 and so on.
Thanks--but by this scenario, both button 1 (PC 01) and button 6 (also PC01) would select Patch A2. I do agree though that behavior A is unlikely to have occurred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealmf View Post
This process of assigning the buttons to send certain PC commands (and not just incremental increase) is called MIDI mapping.
Oh, of this I am fully aware...I know way more about MIDI than I ever wanted to. I can program the pedal's output myself. I have CC messages on the bottom 4 pedal to control Live recording, and PC changes on the top 4.