Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2011, 01:50 AM

Thumbs down Nasty digital distortion in copied audio files

I have seen this several times and thought it was the USB stick's fault or something like that, but now when I'm copying a session from one of my own HDD to another I can clearly see it is an system or Pro Tools error.

Doing import audio or "save session as" I will get short nasty digital spikes/distortion in some of the files. Has anyone else seen this or can guide me to whats going on? Might it be HFS-to-NTFS issue?
Old 10-20-2011, 01:57 AM

Default Re: Nasty digital distortion in copied audio files

I just realized that the original session is ruined as well cause I did "Compact" before "save copy as".
Old 10-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Avid

How are you checking the integrity of the audio files? Just in Pro Tools? Does the audio play fine in other apps?

If they don't play fine in other apps - most likely this is a hard drive or cable defect, failure or a bad connection somwhere in the chain.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
How are you checking the integrity of the audio files? Just in Pro Tools? Does the audio play fine in other apps?

If they don't play fine in other apps - most likely this is a hard drive or cable defect, failure or a bad connection somwhere in the chain.
I'm looking into this... I don't get any errors and I also don't get any problems when tracking. I do get spikes of noise on import and as it seems when doing Compact function as well. I will try to see what happens in the other programs, but to be honest I keep my machine clean and there is only itunes and thats it on my system. No internal audio card... I'll export the bad file to see whats up
Old 10-23-2011, 09:58 PM

Angry Re: Nasty digital distortion in copied audio files

Experiencing the same problems here it's a PT 10 issue the same file plays fine when imported into Studio One, however when I import the same audio file into a PT it all distorted.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:20 AM

Ok so it seems in PT10 I'm getting random digital zip's in random places of some audio files that actually are NOT in the file, meaning if I close and re-open the session the problem is not there anymore.

Bad RAM? Bad Pro Tools?
Old 11-01-2011, 02:54 AM

And the again some other files have them errors written in.. like two hour live recording I did has them written inside at some locations.

I honestly do not believe they are HDD related as I'm getting zero errors from Windows about HDD's being bad. But can it be RAM?? I believe new PT will record takes first to ram and writes to HDD after that? So if RAM is bad the errors in RAM will be written to HDD?

My computer is still under warranty, is there ANY good software that could tell if RAM is bad? The built in W7 ram check does not find errors.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:03 AM

Please digithech or anyone, give out ideas what might be going on. Is it PT10 with it using RAM? Can I turn it off? For me this has turned into a nightmare as these distorted parts are not under any control and any consolidation or mixdown can include clicks at random places!

I have just been rejected files that are CD masters for three disks that include digital noise in different parts of the files. A new mixdown cannot help as the errors might or might not appear in any new location.

Pre- PT10 I have set the Widows swap file to zero as I have 16gb of memory, could that be an issue now? EDIT: Tried setting swap file back to Windows managed - no change, still clicks

Is there a way to turn off this new way of memory management in Pro Tools 10? EDIT: Tried setting Cache Size to Normal - no change, still clicks
Old 11-08-2011, 12:07 AM

This is how it sounds:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11182503/PT_clicks1.wav

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11182503/PT_clicks2.wav

500kb files