How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2012, 04:47 AM

Default ProTools 10.2 crashes when loading a session

Hello!

I think I'll need some help with this one, because I'm out of ideas.

ProTools opens fine, but when I'm loading my session ProTools freezes in restoring tracks. Then I click something and ProTools wont respond (Pro Tools (not responding)) and it crashes and shuts down.

I can make a new session and open some other sessions and everything works fine. I checked the issue list that have been repaired in 10.2 update and found this,

PTSW-159958 Crash on opening some sessions (Windows only).

Which seems to be still my problem.

When i worked with that session yesterday everything worked fine, but today it wont open, and the projects deadline is today evening :P

System Details:

Pro Tools 10.2 Native

M-Audio Profire 2626 (Firmware 1.0.10 Software 5.10.0.5082 1.0.8.1)

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Graphic Card: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

- Leo Naukkarinen

Last edited by Leo Naukkarinen; 06-14-2012 at 04:48 AM. Reason: added system information
Old 06-14-2012, 06:21 AM

Default Re: ProTools 10.2 crashes when loading a session

Plug-Ins aren't the problem. I made several tests with those and everything works fine.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:28 AM

Did you try creating a new session and importing the session data?
Old 06-14-2012, 08:15 AM

I did. And now i have narrowed the issue to be in my aux tracks that have plugins on them. Aux tracks with no plugins opens fine. So everything works now if i dont put plugins in my aux tracks... But i need plugins in my aux tracks so the issue remains. Any ideas? :)

Still some sessions with plugins on auxtracks works fine (these sessions dosent have video). I made this new session and imported the data in it. After this i made new auxtracks with plugins. Everything works unless i shut down protool and try to open this session again. Then it crashes.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:10 AM

I would try using just the Avid supplied plugins and see if it still happens.
I had several plugins that caused a problem in 10.2 which had worked with 10.1.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:11 AM

This is turning to be a mystery. I broke my ears with Waves Q10 plugin in huge soundexplosion... Now every plugin works perfectly in every session (the first session still dosent work but anyway) im totally clueless what happened but let the work continue. :) thanks for the help
Old 02-26-2013, 09:10 AM

I know that this is an old thread, but the problem has resurfaced, & I hope that the nice people at Avid 'see' it.

Running PT 10.3.3 on a current W7 Pro system:.
Asus P6X58D-E & Intel I7 970 Hex-core 3.2 GHz CPU, 12GB memory, Veloceraptor system drive, 2 Hitachi 2TB data drives, an Avid-approved Nvidia graphics card, Asus DVD burner & HD Native card, 3 96 I/O's & Control|24 surface.

PT was working fine with all our sessions...then yesterday it crashed while loading tracks, no matter which sessions I tried to load. The message I got was issued by the MS C++ Runtime stating that PT forced an end in an 'unusual way'. The task manager showed that 71% of my 12GB RAM was used. This was the LAST thing I needed in front of a potential new client.

Upgraded to PT 10.3.3 from 10.3.2 and it still failed. I had to force a shut down PT with the task manager. THEN...instead of starting PT & loading the session from the 'recent sessions' list, used the Win Explorer to find the session and double-clicked on the session, and It loaded OK. When I go back to the studio later today I will see if this continues.

Any ideas or suggesions???
Old 02-26-2013, 12:43 PM

When you updated to 10.3.3, did you do an uninstall of 10.2, or not? At the very least, I would trash prefs (guitardom has that great little utility for this). Next thing, hold the SHIFT key while opening a session that gives you troubles. That will make all plugins inactive(but you won't lose any settings). If the sessions opens and runs okay this way, that points to a bad/corrupted/outdated plugin. By making each row of plugins active(one row at a time), saving, closing and re-opening, you can narrow it down to a row of plugins, then you can check that row for the culprit. You can probably eliminate any stock Avid plugin right off the bat and look at 3rd party stuff.

BTW, for anyone that is updating any version of 10 to any other version, when you uninstall, you MUST uninstall the HD driver as well!

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-27-2013, 07:45 AM

Thanks for the fast response.
I did a complete uninstall & install (as I always do). The plugins we use are from Avid, Waves, IK, McDsp, UAD-2 & Antares, which have been working fine since the first install of PT 9.
Most peculiar is the fact that it failed when loading the session from 'recents', but worked when double-clicking on the session, thereby loading PT that way. Once the session loaded, I had to catch up on lost time, so I couldn't test things further.

When back in the studio, later today, if it fails again, I will provide screenshots and hardware configuration from SiSoftware.
Thanks again.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:43 PM

Here is something I've discovered after many "shift - double clickings" and painstakingly making hundreds of plugins active by hand only to find the one that is crashing the session:

If you are using an external clock, make sure you have the clock set to your sessions sample rate BEFORE opening the session. This may seem obvious, but if you're moving around sample rates from session to session as we do a lot here, you may forget that one session is 44.1, the other 48, another 96 and forget to adjust the clock before you double click that session. Some plugins don't react well to having a clocking issue and will crash PT when it gets to the "activiating inserts" part of opening a session. (I'm looking at you Renaissance Axx).