Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2006, 01:47 PM

Default what should i buy with 1,000 dollars, suggestions.

I was wondering what I should get for around 1,000 that would improve my studio more than anything else. Currently use a 001, octopre, tlm 103, audix drum mics (d6, 2 d2, d4, 2 adx51, d1), sm57, beta 91, bx5a monitors, waves diamond bundle, sony oxford plugins, izotope ozone, elemental audio plugs, a little soundproofing, and a good computer. Any suggestions are welcome i just want to know what i should get that will improve the sound most. What should i do next, outboard compressor, outboard effects, nicer preamp, more plugs, 002, What do i need? By the way, i mainly do any type of rock or metal.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:58 PM

Default Re: what should i buy with 1,000 dollars, suggestions.

Improve your room/s !
Get 2 or 4 channels of kick ass preamps.

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 03-02-2006, 03:00 PM

don't buy anything.... give it to me. hahah!!

just kidding...a really good pre. all the way!
Old 03-02-2006, 04:14 PM

Sounds like you have the basics covered. You would be crazy to start upgrading pre's and buying outboard comps without being able to clearly hear them. Id spend it all on a nicer set of monitors. Event asp8's or dynaudio bm5a's. There are alot more options around the 1000 mark, but these were the two contenders for me, at that stage. After that I'd put in bass traps and work on the room acoustics more. There are minimal differences you can hear even among the high end pres with sub-par monitors (and converters). Cut corners on outboard gear, mics, plugins, but dont skimp on your monitoring.

Do yourself a favor and rent some time at a local studio with great gear, even for a couple of hours. It will put alot in perspective, and save you more money than you can imagine if you decide to keep upgrading. Its the only way you can realize how big a difference there can be b\w preamps and how they can sound so similar on crap monitors.

good luck, jon
Old 03-02-2006, 07:03 PM

check into some blue sky monitors, those things sound great. For the money I don't think you can beat em. And from there I would go with Pre's... Mic pre's make a huge difference on vocals.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:05 PM

I absolutely agree that acoustically treating your room FIRST is the best money you can spend. You can buy all the gear you want and still not have a good mix unless your monitors can truly translate your mix for you. With standing waves, early reflection issues and no bass trapping, you are going to fight an up hill battle until one day, you get some bass traps and finally... and truly hear what is happening in your mix. And the best thing is, you can make your own acoustic panels for less than you might think from rigid fiberglass and fabric. Hell, I'll even show you how!

Mark my words, if you do "some" room treatment, you will be light years beyond others who've been doing this awhile without acoustic treatment. Let me know if I can help.

Good luck mate!
www.readyacoustics.com
Old 03-02-2006, 09:22 PM

yeah, show me how to do it, basically right now i just have 5 4x8 boards with sound proof on them, but i would willingly take any advice, thanks.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:53 PM

Agreed.... TREATMENT!!! Then send the rest to me...

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 03-03-2006, 09:00 AM

Grab some breathable fabric from a store....burlap....etc.. Wal Mart (if you are willing to shop there) and other discount stores carry cheap fabric.
Then, get some Owens Corning 703 or 705 online or locally. Get the 2" stuff (48x24x2 inches). Then, for bass traps (to treat your corners), wrap the panels in the fabric and staple it together in the back. DON'T use any wood or anything on the back of the panel. Just the insulation and fabric should make up your panels when finished...
Put two, 2" sheets of the acoustic insulation together to form a 4" thick panel. Then stack them in your corners floor to ceiling. If you don't have enough room to stack two on top of each other, try securing one on a 45 degree angle in the corner (spanning the two walls) and hang another above it horizontally.
See a complete diagram here: Acoustic Panels / Bass Traps Placement additional hanging ideas.

Getting your panels into the corners should be your first priority. Then, treat your sidewalls to the left and right of your mix position. Doing just this little amount of treatment will make such a difference, you will be amazed. Guaranteed.

Enjoy!
www.readyacoustics.com
Old 03-03-2006, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Id spend it all on a nicer set of monitors. Event asp8's or dynaudio bm5a's. There are alot more options around the 1000 mark, but these were the two contenders for me, at that stage.
I'm also looking at new monitors to get within the next couple weeks,
I was looking at the Event ASP8's and KRK V8's and I think i'm gonna go with the Events and I just found them online for 499$ per speaker where as everywhere else you look they are 649$.

www.bpmmusic.com
https://fire.he.net/~bpmmusic/bpm-bi...c:3605.25052:Y