Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2003, 06:43 PM

Default 1ghz Mirror door? will that hang?

Hey heres a question?
Apple replaced there G4 Dual 867Mhz Mirror door models with the 1Ghz Single processor!
Will this one have the hang problem that the Dual models were?
Or is that a thing of the past? I may be getting one with a 001 insted of a power book and MBox, as soon as this week............
So let me hear good or bad! And I may be selling my G4 400Mhz "Sawtooth" it has 1.12 ghz of memory and its clean if anyone is interested($600.00 + Ship to you!).....
Thanks yall!
-RECO
Old 04-08-2003, 07:04 PM

Default Re: 1ghz Mirror door? will that hang?

I would hold onto your Sawtooth just a bit longer. Now, I cannot say for sure that you will have problems, but there is a better reason to hold on. The MDDs are not any better than the previous dual QuickSilvers due to bandwidth & bottleneck problems with the motherboard. Not woirth paying a premium for a computer no better than the previous generation (for reliable speed tests on everything Mac visit www.barefeats.com).

The good news: IBM just finished their new motherboard for the new Apples. The announcement will be in a couple of months. They should take full advantage of the DDR memory architechture and show a significant speed advantage (a big plus for us native guys). They may also be a few more surprises -- but you didn't hear that from me ;-}

In any event, unless you desperately need this new machine right now & not having it would mean a loss of revenue, then hold off just a little longer.

Always err on the side of perfection.