Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2010, 08:18 AM

Default CPU spikes MAC 8core 2010

Hey,

I couldn't find an answer to my question, so maybe I haven't searched well.
I hope there is an answer:
I'm using just one VI (Alicia's keys in Kontakt 4), i've checked the configuration an optimalization settings with the distributer (who sells studio systems) and everything is correct.
I'm still getting random CPU spikes with audio-drops and sometimes the "CPU overload" error.
I'm only using one VI...!
When I look at my CPU usage in the activity monitor i'm hardly using any CPU. max 11% and 2,7% system usage.
but pro-tools give me lot's of more CPU usage in the "system usage" window.

settings:
256 buffer
13 processors
85 cpu usage limit
cpu overload... checkbox off
and all the other settings in playback engine window are default.

Does anyone else encounters this problem???

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-23-2010, 08:46 AM

Default Re: CPU spikes MAC 8core 2010

Piano samples are usually very demanding. Where are they? Separate drive? If so, approved drive?

www.studiofifty.net

Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad, 10.6.6, 12GB Ram, PT9, Logic 9, Kontakt, East West, VSL, Waves, Sound Toys, IK Multimedia
RME FF UC, Focusrite Octopre mkii, UA LA 610 mkii, MC Transport, Yamaha HS80M, Lauten, AKG, Sure, Blue
Old 12-23-2010, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the fast reply!

First of all: i've tried using a larger buffersize, but i'll get an unworkable situation during to the latency!
The number of processors was recommended to me by the support guy from the distributer. He knows what he's talking about
But, i'll try it and post back with the results to that! I've tried different settings with processors but, mostly lower processor settings.

According to the harddrive answer: I've got the library on a different harddrive.
Have a
-MAC HD drive = Standard WD 1TB
-Audio drive (for sessions) = Seagate 500GB ST3500320AS
-Data drive (for samples and library's) = Seagate 1TB ST31000528AS

I've got the library on the Data drive and I've also copied the whole library to my audio drive and tried to load it from there.
My audio drive is significantly slower than my data driver, as it comes to loading the library to my memory (which is 6GB ddr3 default)

I've also tried to have the pro-tools session on a different drive, like the Data drive and also on a separate partition on the Mac HD (called Extra and which is empty) but that didn't make any difference.

I've also encounter this problem with Play from East West Quantum Leaps.
All plugins are up to date!

Anyone else who know's what this can be?
Bought the system for extra work power and to have a stable system, so far, it's not really working!
Old 12-23-2010, 09:36 AM

Ok, I've tested the pro-tools with different amount of cores allocated in the playback engine.
No matter on what amount of cores I set it to, it wil spike out in heavy parts.
Weird thing: when I use a large amount of processors, it will give me more spikes during playing. when idle, the CPU usage (as shown in system usage window) will be around 15 percent on larger amount of cores and on some large core settings around 20-25 percent.
on lower core settings, it will be more around 10-15 and when doing nothing for like a few minutes, it'll go down to 6-12 percent.

What I don't get: why does pro-tools "system usage" shows a lot of spikes and usage, while my activity monitor (from mac itself) shows close to no usage at all?
Isn't pro-tools actually using the cores I assigned it to use?
Does it has something to do with hyperthreading maybe? Since I've got the newest 8 core system and have 16 cores available in the playback engine.

Thanks again.

edit: btw, I'm still getting the spikes on all settings. It would be idiot for me to work on a large buffersize (while using 1 VI) and have latency! I've bought this setup as an improvement, not as a downgrade.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:20 AM

We get people to the moon and back, but running a system smoothly with all the right requirements, seems to be a big deal.

Have to finish 5 songs within 2 days. Seems like I have to work with Christmas.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:54 PM

Ok, i've narrowed it down.

Have been researching a lot and discussed this with the distributer.
Seems that the problem is the RTAS plugin.

I've checked all optimizations which are needed according to AVID.
I've reinstalled pro-tools. First 8.0 and tested with only Play (from east west) as a 3th party plugin in the plugin folder, since this plugin gave me the most problems. Problem persist.
Updated to 8.0.4, same test, still the same problem.
Updated to 8.0.4cs2, same test, still the same problem.
I've removed all preferences of all we could think of from the user library folder and the MAC HD library folder before I ran all these tests. All preferences which had anything to do with audio, midi, or from one of the plugins.
Also tested the settings within the playback engine on all different cores, HW buffer size to 256 and the CPU usage limit to 85%. Also tested with CPU usage limit to 99%. Didn't make any difference.
I noticed that when I selected anything above 13 cores, I got significant more CPU load compared to lower core settings.

So, after that I've tested Play as a stand alone plugin. And that worked really nice!
Could load more samples than I would ever need in one session, and still no problems. The CPU would remain under 15 percent (within the activity monitor) at more than 3000 close to 4000 samples loaded (as stated in the streaming page of play preferences). So now I knew that play works perfectly fine. But not under pro-tools.

If I load 5 mini-grands piano plugins on 5 instrument tracks and play them at the same time, I won't see spikes at all. So it's not pro-tools who can't deal with sample-based plugins.

My suspicion is that the RTAS plugin Play just hasn't been written very well, and causes pro-tools to behave weird and give lot's of CPU spikes ofcourse.

I've tried reaching them by phone, but they seemed to be closed for today (friday). I left them a message and hope I'll get a call back.
I'll post back with their response.

I think it's ridiculous that I've bought the newest 2010 8-core mac and Play Symphonic Orchestra Gold with both expansions for a fair amount of money, to not work properly!
If play can't work well in pro-tools, don't write an RTAS plugin for it...

(Sorry to be such a nagger about this, but it frustrates me for 2 days now, and it keeps me from making money...)
Old 12-24-2010, 10:15 PM

Do you have the latest version and update of Play installed? According to the site this would be Play 2.0.25:

https://www.soundsonline.com/updates.php
Old 12-25-2010, 01:15 AM

People have had mixed results with the play engine. If you have been getting good results with standalone, why not just get to work, you shouldn't be kept from making money...

We all do what we can to work with an admittedly flawed RTAS engine, and much to many's dismay have found that an 8 core mac doesn't always just fix it. One of the things that has brought much success, is using vi's in standalone, using ve pro, or loading in reaper and rewiring that into pt. You are not crazy to expect this all to work however, maybe if nasa was in charge of re-coding the rtas engine we'd be on the moon. But for now I think we work the best we can, in the program avid's got, (which is in it's best form ever as far as I can tell.)

I still remember the days when if I was able to get two miroslavs going I felt I was really doing something, so being able to run what I can now, I feel unlimited. I have a way to work in any scenario that allows me to get it done...not braggin, just sayin...

Good luck though, merry xmas...

www.studiofifty.net

Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad, 10.6.6, 12GB Ram, PT9, Logic 9, Kontakt, East West, VSL, Waves, Sound Toys, IK Multimedia
RME FF UC, Focusrite Octopre mkii, UA LA 610 mkii, MC Transport, Yamaha HS80M, Lauten, AKG, Sure, Blue
Old 12-25-2010, 04:12 PM

Hi all, and marry christmas!!!

I've already updated the plugin. That's always a first thing to check.

Indeed I was working on, but since I got this ridiculous deadline up front, I wanted to work fast!
That means, saving all the settings of every plugin within the session. That way I can switch much easier between sessions, obviously.

So, working with stand alone wasn't really the best option, and I can only record back in pro-tools through spdif, so 2 channels only.

I've got back to work, and just made each string section appart from eachother. So, that way, I could mute the midi signal going to the violins as I was working on the cello's, and so on.

I'm really hoping on a reaction from Soundsonline, since they made the rtas plugin. And other rtas plugins DO work within pro-tools.
I'll report back with their response.

Have a nice holiday you all!