How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2021, 09:36 AM

Default Overall CPU Spikes while individual cores aren't near maxing out

Hey People,

I’ve got serious CPU Issues lately with my Mac Book Pro. Here are the Specs of my Mac Book:

Macbook Pro (15-Inch, 2016)
Processor: 2,6 GHz Quad Core Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Graphics: Radeon Pro 450 2 GB

the OS is 11.5.2, Problem was already occurring with 11.4 and I updated in hopes of resolving the issue with that, but to no avail.
Pro Tools is Running on 2021.7

My Attached Peripherals are an SSL 2+ as Audio Interface that’s connected via USB-C, a Samsung SSD Drive, my Ilok, a Razor Taipan Mouse and an EditorsKeys Keyboard (all connected Via a USB-C to USB adapter). Also, I’m using a Slate Raven Monitor that’s connected via HDMI to the Macbook through the Adapter.

I attached a Screenshot that shows pretty nicely what’s the Problem. Though my CPU Cores aren’t even near maxing out, the overall CPU Usage Spikes to 100% and causes Pops and Freezes the moment I turn an Audio Track Record Ready or the Input Monitoring Button.
I tried if anything’s changing when I’m disconnecting all peripherals but the Ilok and the SSL2+, but that didn’t change anything. Same goes for trying to turning off any programs running in the Background, didn’t resolve the issue either.

I followed the newest optimisation guide, but that didn’t help either.

I hope you can help me out with this information so I can get to recording as soon as possible. If you need any more information, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2021-09-11 at 17.05.30.jpg (40.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-11-2021, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Overall CPU Spikes while individual cores aren't near maxing out

That CPU meter is notoriously inaccurate. and it's hard to suggest a singular way to address your issue. Mine has been a slow refinement of workflow over years as I repeatedly noticed certain triggers on my specific machine and setup.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...d-be-pay-to-it

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 09-12-2021, 02:38 AM

Have you tried using the “ignore pops and clicks” setting in the playback engine? I know they make it sound like it’s a bad setting to use, but even with a much faster computer than yours (5.3 ghz), I have to enable that in order to ensure perfect playback at low latency settings.
Old 09-12-2021, 04:08 AM

This is most likely due to a plugin. Try removing all but the Avid plugins from the plugins folder and see if you still have the problem.
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 09-13-2021, 11:12 AM

You could also try a replacement USB-C cable for your interface. A bad cable can cause crazy things like this to happen!