Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2010, 02:23 PM

Default Digi 003+ Line/DI inputs?

I just ordered a new digi 003+ rack and I was looking at the specs and I noticed how they do not list the input impedance for the Line/DI inputs for the 003+ but they do on all the other 003s. I am wondering if anyone has used these inputs for line level signals and how it sounds.

I wouldn't plug a line level signal into a DI input because the impedance on a DI is a bit higher than that of a standard line level signal. Can anyone shed some light on this issue who owns a 003+? I am not going to use it it until I get an answer that makes sense because I don't really get it. My understanding that the DI/Line switch on the front is just to switch between the mic and DI/Line not between Line and DI separate.

Any advice or experience with the 003+ would be great.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Digi 003+ Line/DI inputs?

The DI inputs also serve as line inputs. This is specifically stated in the 003 "getting started" manual that comes with the unit. You still switch the input to DI, and hook up the line level device, but turn the gain down.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:38 PM

I agree. It is annoying that there is no straight answer to, if the input impedance is a "perfect line level" impedance.

I think we must accept that it is a DI input with DI impedance, where one has to gain down. Digi's choice.

Having said that, I think the 003+ (I have it) sounds good with DI, but havent used it with line yet.
Anyone who has ?
Old 04-20-2010, 06:16 AM

You shouldn't have a problem feeding a line source to a DI as far as impedance is concerned, because a higher impedance than you want isn't a problem the way lower than you want is. Think about a keyboard output: much the same electrical characteristics as a line output from a mixing desk and usually very happy going into a DI box.

Slightly higher gain is annoying but still needn't be a problem.

Where you might come unstuck is if the DI input is unbalanced. The spec says it's balanced, but I still don't know what the 003 does when you stick an unbalanced guitar in there. I mean, I've done it with my bass guitar and it works perfectly well, so it must be an input that can accept either balanced or unbalanced. I'm guessing since you can't switch between line and DI that as William and nst7 say it's the right impedance and gain for a guitar but will also work perfectly happily with a balanced line source.

You're right; more information would be nice.