Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 06:55 PM

Default 5.1 to Stereo Folddown Plug in?

Is there a plug in that I could insert on a master fader to record a stereo output from a 5.1 mix? I'm trying to avoid having to press my mix in 5.1, then pressing it again to fold it down to stereo. If not could somone post the folddown formula? I do have things in my surrounds so I need them.

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2007, 11:31 PM

Default Re: 5.1 to Stereo Folddown Plug in?

You can spend a 1000$+ for the waves surround-bundle or you can do the folddown in PT using the mixer (that´s what it´s for. mixing many tracks into less tracks).

The folddown-formula lies in your ears. The is no real rule to fold down. I recommend to listen and do the fold-down that it sounds good.

frank.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Is there a plug in that I could insert on a master fader to record a stereo output from a 5.1 mix? I'm trying to avoid having to press my mix in 5.1, then pressing it again to fold it down to stereo. If not could somone post the folddown formula? I do have things in my surrounds so I need them.

Thanks!
Oh boy. I've been wanting Digi to do something like this for a while. If it's a one-time deal, download the Waves 360 Bundle and use the mixdown plug as a demo. I own that bundle (and a few others) and would desperately like Digi to make an equivalent package. If you're curious, as I was, use a live signal generator plug-in and make careful notes of the mixdown coefficients that the Waves plug gives you, then re-create them with buses. Make sure to read up on PT pan laws!

I even wrote Digi with their feature request form. I would love to see an Audiosuite based mixdown plug-in with variable coefficients. Sort of like the options available with the internal menus of a Tascam DSM surround monitoring device. Call it DigiMon, or DigiFormat. Whatever. Just make it!

Good luck! If you have problems, reply to this thread and someone will help you.

S.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:50 AM

I purchase the Neyrinck SoundCode plug-ins for Dolby and DTS. They are RTAS/AS plugs that encode/decode with all the options, including downmix. I'm going to try that this afternoon, since I've got the same issue with a current project. I'll try encoding then reload the encoded file back into the session and set SoundCode to decode the downmix.

I'll let you know how it works.

BTW, you can download a demo for SoundCode's plugs HERE.