Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2006, 11:47 PM

Default I Can\'t Believe The Bounce To Disk Function

Hello. I am a new PT LE user. I come from a background of Cool Edit Pro and more recently Cubase SX3. Allow me to go on a rant. I just bought a Pro Tools LE system because I just started working at a pro level studio which uses PT exclusively and needed to learn it on my own time. So I decided as my first session to learn it with I would sample all my drum machine sounds for use in VSTi samplers and thought this would be a great way to get use to PT and learn all the shortcuts with all that starting and stopping. Well, imagine my surprise when it came time to "bounce to disk": I learned that you have to sit and actually listen to the whole thing in real time while it creates a mixdown!! A whole 45 minutes of drum samples that I recorded one after another. Unless I am missing some other way to do this, you have to sit there for the full length of your project to get a mixdown? This means that if you record a 1 hour show, to get the mixdown for cd duplication, you have to sit there for an hour while it writes it to your hard drive? What an incredibly annoying way to do things. I can't believe this. What about clients that want a quick mix of their songs before going home for the night? They have to sit there paying an hourly rate while this insanely tedious process takes place on the clock? This is the DIGITAL age people! What possible reason did you guys have for making this be the only way to get a mixdown out of your software? And this is the standard?!?!
Old 02-11-2006, 12:45 AM

Default Re: I Can\'t Believe The Bounce To Disk Function

Quote:
Hello. I am a new PT LE user. I come from a background of Cool Edit Pro and more recently Cubase SX3. Allow me to go on a rant. I just bought a Pro Tools LE system because I just started working at a pro level studio which uses PT exclusively and needed to learn it on my own time. So I decided as my first session to learn it with I would sample all my drum machine sounds for use in VSTi samplers and thought this would be a great way to get use to PT and learn all the shortcuts with all that starting and stopping. Well, imagine my surprise when it came time to "bounce to disk": I learned that you have to sit and actually listen to the whole thing in real time while it creates a mixdown!! A whole 45 minutes of drum samples that I recorded one after another. Unless I am missing some other way to do this, you have to sit there for the full length of your project to get a mixdown? This means that if you record a 1 hour show, to get the mixdown for cd duplication, you have to sit there for an hour while it writes it to your hard drive? What an incredibly annoying way to do things. I can't believe this. What about clients that want a quick mix of their songs before going home for the night? They have to sit there paying an hourly rate while this insanely tedious process takes place on the clock? This is the DIGITAL age people! What possible reason did you guys have for making this be the only way to get a mixdown out of your software? And this is the standard?!?!
Old 02-11-2006, 01:11 AM

Well that was an extremely helpful post.

So was this one.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:50 AM

One reason for real time "bounce to disk" is that you can include real time inserts and sends. I can bounce tracks through an outboard compressor - you can't "render" that...

There are also other options to avoid bounce to disk for certain stuff. If you can get all the audio onto one stereo track you can use the "consolidate" command to make a new disk file. I've used this assembling show CDs that are just 'megamix' of other pre-mixed files...

You'll learn to love it - It IS far superior to Cool Edit Pro.

jt
Old 02-11-2006, 05:49 AM

I've been using Cubase SX3 for a long time now and recently bought PT7 because some clients wanted to use it.Pro Tools is not even in the same league as Cubase,Sonar,even Adobe Audition.The "Bounce to disk" function is just one area that shows how inferior PT really is against the competition.Its a joke!Your right............trying to tell a client he has to wait 45 minutes(or whatever)for a "quick mix" is absolute bull*****.The engineer will just have to eat his hourly fee on that one.Try "right clicking" to find a menu in PT............there ain't none!Like I said...........I bought it just in case a client demands to use it.I have already showed some clients how Cubase SX is so much more superior then PT and they agreed.PT is the "industry standard" because it started the DAW revolution but the competition has surpassed it by leaps and bounds and has left digidesign in the dust imho.This is not a rant from me.I paid $200 for my PT M-Powered and I got what I paid for.............its just not nearly as productive in a real studio environment as the competition so I don't even use it unless,like I said,a client insists on it.Its a minor league recording app to say the least.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:35 AM

That's why they make vanilla and chocolate...

What everyone who goes on these rants always fails to realize is that PTLE and/or PTMPowered is not the industry standard. PTHD is the industry standard. Comparing PTHD to the others, Cubase, Sonar, and yes even Nuendo, is where the joke lies.

Real time bounce to disk, as already mentioned, is so that you can use external hardware for processing. Non-real time as an option has been requested for a long time, and I would bet that we're closer to it than anybody thinks. Those who need it obviously aren't doing any external processing, though.

Bottom line is; if you don't like Pro Tools, then don't use Pro Tools. It really is as simple as that. I have used all of the others, and I prefer Pro Tools. That's just me. The workflow is where it's at for me in PT. Yes, it needs improvement in some areas, but I see that happening slowly but surely, and i'm very happy about the improvements already made and the direction it's going.

Ranting about it on an internet forum amounts to nothing but trolling for flames.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 02-11-2006, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I've been using Cubase SX3 for a long time now and recently bought PT7 because some clients wanted to use it.Pro Tools is not even in the same league as Cubase,Sonar,even Adobe Audition.The "Bounce to disk" function is just one area that shows how inferior PT really is against the competition.Its a joke!Your right............trying to tell a client he has to wait 45 minutes(or whatever)for a "quick mix" is absolute bull*****.The engineer will just have to eat his hourly fee on that one.Try "right clicking" to find a menu in PT............there ain't none!Like I said...........I bought it just in case a client demands to use it.I have already showed some clients how Cubase SX is so much more superior then PT and they agreed.PT is the "industry standard" because it started the DAW revolution but the competition has surpassed it by leaps and bounds and has left digidesign in the dust imho.This is not a rant from me.I paid $200 for my PT M-Powered and I got what I paid for.............its just not nearly as productive in a real studio environment as the competition so I don't even use it unless,like I said,a client insists on it.Its a minor league recording app to say the least.

a typical responce from an inexperienced user.. but maybe he's right every major studio must
know what he knows
Old 02-11-2006, 09:36 AM

I really don't understand why this guy got flamed for posting this. It seems like the responses he got are a bit on the defensive side...

What would be wrong with having a BTD that allowed for faster bounces? You could still select 1x when you needed to use outboard gear. I've been doing some long sessions and I'd love to have a 2x, 4x or 10x choice... I'm just doing audio that is going to mp3 anyway.

In my opinion the original post does point out a weakness in PT. I think DIGI should add this feature to PT, and frankly I think it should have been done long ago. There have been complaints about this for years.

John

Old 02-11-2006, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Pro Tools is by far the best for audio editing. Sure there are some things about it that aren't the best, but there IS a reason why it's the industry standard. The quick keys and commands focus stuff in Pro Tools is absolutely ingenius. Try editing audio in Cubase and I'll race you in Pro Tools. I'm not even the greatest editor, but Cubase and the other apps just aren't setup to edit as easily.

You can't judge Pro Tools just based on recently getting it and dinking around with it. Learn how to use it. Take a class, read the manuals, learn the quick keys. I'm sure your opinion will change to at least slightly less pessimistic.

P.S. Comparing Pro Tools to Adobe Audition/CoolEdit Pro is a joke.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:08 AM

While a quick way to render would be a welcome addition, what really gets me about these posts is when people bring up these 45 minute long recordings. I even once had someone throw 3 hours at me! The inherent problem with that is what's a quick mix to a 45 minute long recording, much less a 3 hour one? For one, any responsible person would actually listen to the whole recording to make sure everything is kosher. During that time, while you're adjusting levels on the fly, you could be running it off to an external recorder. Every single commercial studio I've been in has a standalone CD recorder. Every last one. But wait! You just have a studio at home and have no need for an external burner, since you burn everything in the computer, right? Well, in that case, not to discount your time or money or anything, but an extra hour spent at someone's home or project studio isn't exactly the ball buster it is in a commercial facility. Also, a 45 minute shindig is likely a band-type project, right? In that case, you could also run the bounce while they're breaking down and carrying the gear out to the van. I've never had one single complaint from a client about real-time bouncing, either at home or in another studio. Not one.

Nine times out of 10, people only have recordings that are, at most, 6 minutes long. And if you and your client can't wait 8 minutes (factoring in time to actually burn the CD), then...well, that's a shame. In my years of doing this, I've learned that both speed and patience are crucial, amongst other things. I'll take non-realtime bouncing gleefully...but it's not exactly going to be the death of me if I never get it in PT.
Peace