Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2006, 10:10 PM

Default Working on multiple projects together

Can I just confirm that it's impossible to have multiple PT (LE) projects open at once? Is this any different in HD?

I sometimes work for a radio breakfast show where you need to keep hopping between at least three different projects - they use Nuendo which allows you to Shift+F6 between different open projects, but "steals" the resources from all the but the one in focus - hitting a button restores rescources to any chosen project.

Many radio stations where I am likely to do freelance work use PT (mostly HD but also LE) systems but would I be forced to keep opening and closing single projects in this scenario?
Old 04-10-2006, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Working on multiple projects together

Quote:
Can I just confirm that it's impossible to have multiple PT (LE) projects open at once?
Confirmed. This is not possible with any version of PT (that I am aware of).

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 04-10-2006, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Working on multiple projects together

Hello. Yes as spkguitar mentioned, Pro Tools can only have one session open at a time. However you may be able to have some way around this issue. First off and simplest, if you know ahead of time which sessions you need access to you can simply consolidate all three sessions into one session that contains everything and just navigate down the time line with markers as needed. However, if the sessions you need access to come up at random or with little advance notice, another way is to Import Session Data. That way you can import the tracks that contain the audio you need from the session as the need arises. Yet a third option nowadays is to create Region Groups. This is probably simpler, faster and more efficient that Import Session Data. Create Region Groups in all your sessions where you may need to pull material from. For example, create a region group of nature ambiences, SFX, and Foley from all three different sessions, etc. With the click of a button you can import everything and mix and match as you need. As things are needed, simply import the required Region Group(s) into your session and all the necessary audio will come along with it. Good luck.