Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2006, 06:40 PM

Default Re: I Can\'t Believe The Bounce To Disk Function

Quote:
A whole 45 minutes of drum samples that I recorded one after another. Unless I am missing some other way to do this, you have to sit there for the full length of your project to get a mixdown?
Assuming these are all on one track. Select all the audio. Name the track "Drums". Go to Edit... Consolidate. You now have a disk file named "Drums.wav" - usually in the Audio Files directory. For effects apply w/ Audiosuite and do the same consolidate process... done.

jt
Old 02-11-2006, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Assuming these are all on one track. Select all the audio. Name the track "Drums". Go to Edit... Consolidate. You now have a disk file named "Drums.wav" - usually in the Audio Files directory. For effects apply w/ Audiosuite and do the same consolidate process... done.
If he\she are sampling separate drum machine sounds for use in a sampler wouldn't he/she want them to be separated by exporting them as individual regions?

Then he\she could name each sample that would be exported in a region ie kick,snare, etc..............?

If am I mistaken here then thank you for correcting me.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:15 AM

Here is a real world example, I took my 002R to record a church organ album, all up I recorded about 6 hours worth of stuff on 5 tracks, mono and 2 stereo.

of course the player wanted a ref disk to pick out the performances he wants to use, if I was using PTLE it would have taken 6 hours to play/bounce out all the pieces.

Luckily I was in fact using nuendo and just using the 002 as a asio interface, took about 40 minutes instead of 6 hours, and that's including some plugs I added.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:27 AM

Hey vseus (OP),

I'm a new user too & I know how you feel about this. If you've been used to quick renders it hurts to not have 'em suddenly. If you've never needed or used them I'm sure you'd never miss them. I was also very surprised PT couldn't render MIDI to audio like I was used to in other apps, but that's another story.

I've had people nod sagely and mutter how PT is the only "sample accurate" DAW when I bring this up, and how it couldn't guarentee this without real time bounces, but I don't think this is the perfect defence as a few quick null tests showed my fast bounces in another app were also sample accurate...
who knows, maybe they're not in more demanding circumstances.

With a bit of practice under my belt (and the command focus shortcut stickers on my keyboard) I'm now finding editing generally quicker in PT than my other apps, despite some things which do take longer.

Some people have suggested workarounds including consolitating regions for export (this won't catch any automation however) and bussing your mix to spare record tracks. The real trick with this is to use destructive record on your record track while working on your mix. Even if you stop & start a lot you'll still end up with one single region which can be exported when you're done. The hitch is you have to make sure you always drop in on a section of the existing region, or you'll start a new region and then even if you go back to recording on the existing one it will start a new region. Makes sense once you try it. Dropping in can sometimes be glitchy though so you get to know where you can get away with it - in a moment of silence is best in dialogue recording obviously. Often it's fine to just drop right in in the middle of something complex, and if it really is sample accurate you could expect this... except that I have had some glitchy drops so I dunno.

I appreciate the arguments about using outboard gear and listening carefully to the mix while printing - it probably puts you in a clearer headspace as well - but I also know PT people in broadcast TV promos & radio imaging who would sing hallelujah to be freed from real time bounces.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:02 PM

when I first started recording you had the junk called tape.
You had to rewind the tape
you had to fast forward the tape
you had to thread the tape
you had to cut the tape
you had to splice the tape
you had to BUY the tape
you had to WAIT on the tape to rewind/fast forward.

Sorry, but you are a spoiled brat. You got it made and you dont even know it. Next time, break your session down and you wont have to wait. if you cant wait, then order a pizza or something. Dont come on here with your first post and whine about "i got to wait.." could be worse.

Kids these days...

Old 02-12-2006, 02:02 PM

dont forget cleaning and aligning the tape machine as well, with all those wonderful test tones and that little freaking tool turning all the little knobs. day after day after day............. before every session sometimes in the middle or after, day after day after................... if you never had this experience thank whoever you believe in cause that sucked. a reel of tape, 2" 24 track, about 16 minutes at 30 ips. then string up another reel, copy on the test tones.....
I LOVE PRO TOOLS!!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-12-2006, 02:04 PM

..man, don't you miss the smell of a virgin 2" being opened ? Or the shredding oxide ?
BTD has no smell..

cheers,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 02-12-2006, 03:32 PM

Yeah, people have no idea. And I don't think it's a "when I was your age I used to walk 10 miles to school in the snow" kinda thing. I think it's realizing that the worlds of recording and film didn't just start a few years ago. People have survived in high pressure, time sensitive work situations for decades. Time was REALLY of the essence not long ago, but we survived.

For the ability to have access to more tracks and more compressors, EQs, and effects than I could ever dream of when I started, and be able to put them wherever I need as many times as I want with only the computer's power as a limit, I'll take real-time BTD.
Peace
Old 05-13-2006, 06:16 PM

This thread is hilarious. There is no such thing as a "better" DAW system.

Someone said "I'll edit in Pro Tools and race you on Cubase or anything else..." RIDICULOUS!!! Go ahead and "race" all you want but it'll probably come out sounding awful. It's not a race to see who can edit the fastest, its a race in who's sounds the best, and if you win using Pro Tracks, Cubase, Sonar, Cakewalk, etc.. over Pro Tools- Go You!

People just need to calm down. I've used Cubase for about 4 years, and Pro Tools for about 1, and each has their weaknesses and strengths. I could make you list of things I like better in both, and things I would fix. But all of you die hard Pro Tools nuts need to learn that there are other programs out there. I totally agree with the fact Pro Tools mixes down too slow.

And for someone to come on here and say "In my day we had to stop the tape, rewind the tape...etc" BIG DEAL!!! In the 1800's they had to ride around on horses... It's irrelevant! The fact is that these days are digital, and there are always improvements that need to be made. Time is a big factor here, so you shouldn't have to wait forever to get a mixdown.