Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2011, 08:17 AM

Default Low budget computer build advice

My toys have been in storage for the last year.

002rack
Windows XP pro
Protools 8.04

The computer is dead, well the motherboard and processor are shot. I did have a AMD 64x2 with an Asus a8ne board.

I can keep the case, PSU (new 550watt), 2 x Seagate Barracuda SATAII HDDs, Cooling fans DVD writer etc. The Memory is Corsair DDR2 400mhz. I have 4x1GB sticks. I could even use this.

I don't want to spend a lot, seriously I am on a tight budget and will be selling everything in 10 months time when I move abroad.

I also have a Roland V-Synth XT which can double as a sound card and also has a mic input, I now only need one mic input.

First of all I need a cheap board and processor that is known to work. The i7 thread is of no use here. Also, am I right in thinking that Protools 9 will work with other interfaces, like my Roland. I understand I can do a crossgrade upgrade to PT9 but can I still sell my 002 rack and keep the PT9 software. I have an ilok key. Also I have Windows 7 available.

Advice very much needed.

Regards
Old 09-08-2011, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Low budget computer build advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailbrush View Post
...I need a cheap board and processor that is known to work. The i7 thread is of no use here...
Well, the i7 thread is ALL ABOUT boards/processors that are known to work !!! You should be able to get a compatible motherboard, cpu, and memory (yes, you'll need new memory) for pretty cheap, and use all the other parts as you have suggested. See the i7 thread for details re parts.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 09-08-2011, 09:01 AM

Sandy Bridge CPUs are known to be compatible. I'd get a Core i3 2100, compatible motherboard (preferably an ASUS of some sort), and 4GB of DDR3 memory. If you intend to stick with XP Pro, I'd still get 4GB because 2GB is less than I'd want to run with and Sandy Bridge CPUs get the most out of matched pairs. You won't have the full 4GB available to you, but if you upgrade to a 64-bit OS down the road, you will. If you thought your Athlon X2 was fast (and let's be honest, you didn't think that, did you?) then Sandy Bridge will be WAY faster.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Well, the i7 thread is ALL ABOUT boards/processors that are known to work !!! You should be able to get a compatible motherboard, cpu, and memory (yes, you'll need new memory) for pretty cheap, and use all the other parts as you have suggested. See the i7 thread for details re parts.
I don't want to spend that much. So an i7 is out of the question. There must be PT users who are on non i7 systems!!
Old 09-08-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derFunkenstein View Post
Sandy Bridge CPUs are known to be compatible. I'd get a Core i3 2100, compatible motherboard (preferably an ASUS of some sort), and 4GB of DDR3 memory. If you intend to stick with XP Pro, I'd still get 4GB because 2GB is less than I'd want to run with and Sandy Bridge CPUs get the most out of matched pairs. You won't have the full 4GB available to you, but if you upgrade to a 64-bit OS down the road, you will. If you thought your Athlon X2 was fast (and let's be honest, you didn't think that, did you?) then Sandy Bridge will be WAY faster.
6 years ago I thought it was

i3 seems sensible, I don't understand all those processor names that Intel started using.

Is there no i3 thread?
Old 09-08-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
6 years ago I thought it was

i3 seems sensible, I don't understand all those processor names that Intel started using.

Is there no i3 thread?
No i3 thread because the i3 is a budget processor and not a "power" processor. On a budget, I would look for an AMD Phenom quad or maybe an older intel Q on ebay(Q9550 is plenty potent if you find a good enough deal). Look at posters signatures(like mine below) for some handy build info.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-08-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
No i3 thread because the i3 is a budget processor and not a "power" processor. On a budget, I would look for an AMD Phenom quad or maybe an older intel Q on ebay(Q9550 is plenty potent if you find a good enough deal). Look at posters signatures(like mine below) for some handy build info.
I won't touch AMD again. Looks like your not a fan of them either, according to your signature. It is a shame the information is not managed by the Protools PC community a little better. Needs some organization
Old 09-08-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I won't touch AMD again. Looks like your not a fan of them either, according to your signature. It is a shame the information is not managed by the Protools PC community a little better. Needs some organization
I have no ax to grind with AMD. The i7 1366 cpu's(when I built mine) were king of the hill. My previous rig was an AMD 3000+ dual core and its still in service today for another user. Its all about getting the right motherboard

Old 09-09-2011, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I have no ax to grind with AMD. The i7 1366 cpu's(when I built mine) were king of the hill. My previous rig was an AMD 3000+ dual core and its still in service today for another user. Its all about getting the right motherboard
Is there not a database of users self builds?
Old 09-09-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Is there not a database of users self builds?
This is a constantly moving target as most motherboards have a 4 month shelf life(give or take). Look at the first page of the i7 sticky thread for a good list.