Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2003, 01:12 PM

Default LE track limits

Since they all use the same LE software, how is it that the MBox has a 24 track limit and the 002 a 32 track one?

DO they somehow hobble the LE software or is it something inherent in the interface that tells the software how many tracks to allow?

is there ANY reason why one couldn't run 32 tracks on the MBox?
Old 01-01-2003, 01:18 PM

Default Re: LE track limits

it's the software, not the hardware. i have no idea why the MBOX doesn't have the 32 tracks. what version of LE are you using?
Old 01-01-2003, 04:15 PM

The main thing is that the M box uses USB which has a slower connection = less track count compared to firewire connection which has a greater capablity of moving info quicker.
Old 01-01-2003, 07:40 PM

Quote:
The main thing is that the M box uses USB which has a slower connection = less track count compared to firewire connection which has a greater capablity of moving info quicker.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You are not correct, sir.
USB has nothing to do with it. Mbox only streams 2 channels of audio for input and 2 for output, and USB is more than enough for this. Digidesign already has made comments about this in this forum. The reason is that 001, 002 and Mbox use different DAE. The only DAE left to get the track count bump is for the Mbox, and they decided that it was best to develop for OS X than for a soon to be outdated DAE for OS 9. Pro Tools 6 LE for Mbox will support 32 tracks.
Old 01-01-2003, 08:14 PM

Right you are J. and the Windows XP 32-track version of M-Box has already been released.
80 G Seagate internal HD
60 G IBM Deskstar internal HD
40 G Buslink (Seagate)FW ext.HD
Old 01-01-2003, 10:04 PM

I wanted to switch to a WinXP machine that my sister offered to me in exchange for my iBook so I could work with 32 tracks. I tried to install the 32 track version of Pro Tools for Mbox, but I bumped into a lot of annoying ordeals... trying to get the service pack 1 was the worst part, cause the vendor sold my sister an illegal copy of WinXP. Then the optimization part, which I didn't enjoy that much because of all the rebooting... and in the end, I couldn't install it cause the machine has 128MB of RAM and PT won't install unless you have 256MB of RAM or more.
I'm sure it runs great under Windows, I just had bad luck and lack of some knowledge, so I didn't enjoy my "XPerience" concerning almost-recording audio with a Wintel combo, but the best part is that I kept my iBook!
Can't wait for PT 6 for OS X...
Old 01-01-2003, 11:29 PM

Well, that's why we are all here on the Mac platform, J. ! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
80 G Seagate internal HD
60 G IBM Deskstar internal HD
40 G Buslink (Seagate)FW ext.HD
Old 01-02-2003, 04:56 AM

Hello. Just for the sake of reference, the Firewire spec actually allows a single cable to carry uncompressed 5.1, uncompressed video and data, both ways simultaneously. Yet I have not seen or heard of anybody using Firewire anywhere near to its capabilities. USB 1.0 can't handle that obviously, but it can handle a lot more than what Digidesign, and other manufacturers, are feeding it. USB 2.0 is much faster and can handle a lot more stuff than 1.0. I'm not a hardware or developer guy, I just know that nobody has taken these specs to the limits, for whatever reason.