Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2014, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Gobbler Issues

Gave gobbler the boot last year. 1 put of 5 times the downloads didn't work and files where corrupt. I can't have that. Hightail is 100% reliable.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 04-23-2014, 01:52 AM

I have the odd file that cant be downloaded too. Kinda makes you look like an amateur when it happens. Can we also get rid of the reminder? I usually have to send the file to multiple targets, and many of them are getting it just in case the studio doesnt get the link. They have no intention of downloading and the last thing they need is a time wasting reminder. I have gobbler installed on my mac and pc but whenever I try to send from my pc it starts trying to resend a transfer that I cancelled from last year. Ill probably drop it soon if it doesnt become a bit more user friendly on the file transfer side. I really need to be able to log in and access my sends remotely but there doesnt seem to be a way to do that. I dont have the bandwidth to use it as a cloud backup unfortunately.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:08 AM

I've had some issues mentioned here. I often use Google drive and it works pretty fast and reliably. I use it (Gobbler) for backup purposes.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:48 AM

I've had some of the technical issues others have had here. Also, it would be great to have a little more flexibility in customizing the service. Would love to have company branded emails sent to my clients. You can do that with other services like Hightail and Wiredrive.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:02 AM

I hope no one throws tomatoes at me but I've had good luck with Gobbler (in the past 6 months). If you get into the habit of backing up your projects to the cloud sending files is stupid fast. If you send stems to your client and need to make a revision and resend, Gobbler updates the changes quickly and makes the download available faster than anything I've used before.

On my dual TimeWarner cable system (15/2 and 100/5) hightail slows down to a crawl in the afternoon/evening. Maybe it's Time Warner but I don't see quite the hit with Gobbler.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:45 AM

I've been testing Hightail using its app as opposed to the web interface, and so far it seems reliable. Upload speeds range from 5-10 Mbps which is slower than Gobbler on my end, but so far I haven't experienced any issues on the client end.

I'm thinking I'll use Gobbler for backing up and sending files to editors who have the Gobbler app, and possibly use Hightail for clients.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:21 AM

I just found out you can send bigger files with Gmail.They added a new feature called ''Google Drive'' I believe they call it
Old 04-25-2014, 11:58 AM

I've been using Gobbler to send files to clients for almost a year with no problems on either end. Very satisfied.

Pro Tools 10.3.9 HDN | HD Omni | Digi Command 8 | Artist Transport | Digi Surround Panner | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | JBL LSR4328 5.1
2.26GHz 8 Core Nehelam 8GB Ram OSX 10.8.5
Old 04-25-2014, 01:49 PM
Gobbler

Hi Everyone,

I’m the VP of Product here at Gobbler, so I keep a close eye on the DUC. In keeping with Avid’s guidelines, I try to only chime in when it’s really warranted, and this is clearly one of those times…

First off, I appreciate the honest feedback. The most recent build was released with a bug we didn't catch until after it was out in the wild. We've been working feverishly to fix it, and we’ll be putting out a new release with several fixes related to uploads and downloads in the next few days. We apologize for the inconvenience to those who experienced the bug.

Most importantly, if you or a client are having a problem, send an email to support at gobbler dot com immediately. There’s a lot we can do to help. FWIW, both the CEO and I personally review all support requests.

Short term, I will have QA re-test copy/paste for download links and DCP projects.

Longer term, we’re completely redesigning Gobbler to be the lean, mean collaboration machine we’ve always dreamed of: Simpler to use, more flexible, with unique collaboration workflows. We’re just kicking off our Gobbler 2.0 beta team - Please drop me a note if you’d be interested joining the beta team.

A few things to know about Gobbler that may also help:

- Large downloads are faster and much more reliable when you use the Gobbler software. The software also bypasses the “ preparing” process required for web downloads, so they start right away. We know you can't always ask your clients to sign up and install software, but it is free.

- Let Gobbler run in the background and back up the projects you are working on. This way when you are ready to send something most of it will already be in the cloud and your transfer times will be way faster. The Gobbler throttle setting insures that having Gobbler running in the background won’t interfere with Pro Tools.

- In the Preferences. set the throttle to Max. This will reduce Gobbler’s pauses when you’re working in Pro Tools. If you sense Pro Tools is being affected by Gobbler, turn the throttle down a notch.

- Don’t zip files before you send them. Gobbler uses a lossless compression which is much more efficient.

We appreciate your patience. And thanks again for the feedback.

Gordon Lyon
gordon at gobbler dot com
Old 04-27-2014, 12:10 PM

I hope these issues can be remedied and more lean but more importantly Reliable gobbler can be available.

It seems to me that in between periods of rather stable performance there are "updates" more often than not create a less reliable gobbler... Certainly a year ago to a year ana half ago gobbler went from quick, easy, reliable, to stalling and glinting A LOT. In my experience. Using several different internet providers in various places around the world so not just my studio internet going wonky for a bit.

Currently I've been 4 days trying to get some files for a client Mix. 2 overnight supposed download and one RE Upload even on the client end (which of course makes them wonder about my choice in file sending services)

I will try tech support but honestly its sunday now so ill probably have better luck asking him to re upload with hightail or we transfer so I have the files for monday mooring... fortunately in this case he has the file with him and won't ned to make another trip into the studio cause i anticipated a potential problem this weekend as we prepare for monday's workload.

I really do think Gobbler is faster, and more elegant, but that seems mostly in concept than actuality... although like i said there have been periods of problem free sending an receiving...

SO I'm holding out, but it doesn't inspire confidence in the folks I work with when as an early adopter I brought about 15 people on board.

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.