Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2002, 11:15 PM

Default With LexiVerb Not Making It, What Reverb Rules The World In HD?

It seems LexiVerb will never see HD. That is a shame. As of now, those who stayed with their Mix systems have bragging rights. What is in store for HD??? We need a reverb!!! Real Verb is good... I still miss LexiVerb. Is their anything out that I don't know about?? Is there anything on the horizion??? Give Me Good Reverb Or Give Me Death!
Old 08-02-2002, 01:28 AM

Default Re: With LexiVerb Not Making It, What Reverb Rules The World In HD?

Altiverb is THE reverb of the moment. HD or no HD.
Old 08-02-2002, 06:24 AM

Reverb One
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 08-02-2002, 06:26 AM

I was a big Lexiverb user as well. Sent lots of emails to Lexicon and Digi. The response was always "we're talking".

I am thinking bout getting Altiverb as well, however while that is really going to rock as far as realistic spaces and perhaps being able to "roll your own room", you CANNOT tweak any of the rooms once done. My understanding is that, for instance, if you model a Lexicon 480 etc. preset and put that in Altiverb, that's it. No changing the room size etc. etc. On some stuff that will seem limiting to me.

For a reverb that is "tweakable" right now I'm loving ReverbOne, which I got for free in my HD Upgrade. I've tried several others, but as soon as I put this one up, it seemed just a usable and spacious as Lexiverb. I actually smiled.

So, Lexiverb and Digi can stall and give up on their "talks" for all I care. I guess the plugin market is just not good enough for Lexicon. Seems like they could punt Lexiverb and come out with a new, improved plugin for ALL the formats. But I don't think that's going to happen now.
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor
Old 08-02-2002, 09:37 AM

I think the reality is that neither Lexicon or TC would make a plug-in that is as good as their external devices. It wouldn't make sense for them to do so. That would be like releasing a native version of PT's with unlimited track count and all the features enabled. Ain't gonna happen.

I also think that if they did, it would take up too much DSP. So if you really need a great reverb, you'll probably have to buy the boxes.

I have yet to hear a plug-in that offers everything, and sounds as good as an external unit.

Living the dream.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:03 AM

I have to check out AltiVerb. RealVerb is good. I may just need to get used to it, but I still feel the LexiVerb is superior. The verdict is not in yet for me until I see AltiVerb. Does anyone no of any new Reverbs coming soon???
Old 08-02-2002, 10:05 AM

Henchman,

That's cool, to each his own.

But you come from a different philosophy altogether, and don't even use a ProTools rig (Fairlights right? I remembered this time). I assume you use a lot of outboard gear with your Fairlight. Valid viewpoint.

My only questions would be, (that have been alluded to by other threads), is have you heard a ProTools HD rig lately, and specifically have you heard any reverb plugins on an HD system at any of the higher sampling rates? There have been a few "great ear" folks who seem to think there are plugin competitors out there for some of the hardware boxes.

Other than that, I won't waste any more time, 'cause I'm pretty sure you've already made up your mind about the ProTools world. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor
Old 08-02-2002, 10:06 AM

Soul for Sale,

Have you tried the ReverbOne demo?
Old 08-02-2002, 10:40 AM

I have ReverbOne. I like it. I do miss Lexiverb. I just read the AltiVerb thread. I have to check that out. I am using a G4 733mhz with my HD rig. I wonder how it will fair. I am lookig for a demo of AltiVerb... Anyone know where I can get my hands on one????
Old 08-02-2002, 10:46 AM

Altiverb is a good chamber simulator, but it really doesn't do the same thing as a Lexicon.

I also think that all sampled reverbs suffer from a problem that Lexicon solved long ago:

Because you're only taking an impulse sample, nothing dynamic happens within the reverb. Any modulations or anything interesting that happens over time is lost.

It's why you can't take an impulse of a Tel-Ray (or even most Lexicon presets) and have it sound right in Altiverb, for example.

Basically, it's the same problem with audio samplers. At first, everyone thought the pianos and brass were amazing, very lifelike. Two years later we all realized we were out of our minds... and people are still trying to solve the problem after a decade.

If Altiverb is a sampler, Lexicon is more like a synth. Both technologies have their place. I like Altiverb, but it still sounds like a digital reverb. And I know I couldn't mix a record without the control a Lexicon gives me.

And one last ramble: we've offered publicly to help Lexicon port to HD, no Digi nonsense required. Unfortunately, we have no contacts there. If any registered Lexicon user wants to relay this message to Lexicon, please do.

--Erik