Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2009, 10:35 AM

Default Pimp My Magma PE6R4 Chassis. silent power supply! quiet front fan. sound proofing.

Hi,

Just Pimped my Magma PE6R4. its a MK1 with the 2 infiniband connections. the new one's have one i-pass connection and come with quieter fans factory fitted.

EZCool PS-05 650 watt PSU (only one 20 way connecter to the board!! goes to the back connector L12. the front connector is left unconnected) one of the hard drive power supplies goes to the resister or an old hard drive. £40 from computer supplier.

Akasa 12cm Ultra Quiet PC case fan replacement for the front fan. wired dirctly into one of the hard drive power supplies coming from the PSU. £10 from maplins

Akasa Pax Mate, sound proofing material stick-back. £15 maplins

Photo Bucket...

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...0my%20chassis/

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Pimp My Magma PE6R4 Chassis. silent power supply! quiet front fan. sound proofing

Do you still need to sound proof it? I have the new one with the silent power supply and I disconnected the front fans as the cards don't even begin to heat things up. That way the chassis is dead silent. Can't hear it at all.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Pimp My Magma PE6R4 Chassis. silent power supply! quiet front fan. sound proofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Do you still need to sound proof it? I have the new one with the silent power supply and I disconnected the front fans as the cards don't even begin to heat things up. That way the chassis is dead silent. Can't hear it at all.
Probably doesn't make a lot of difference but for the cost of £15? whilst i had it all apart it was a 5 minute job and i just want it as quiet as possible. eventually i'll get the extended cables and move it in to the back room, but the cables are about £300+

I think i would rather have a fan on the cards! that extra few deg's could make a difference in the long term.

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:21 PM

Yeah, my front fan was defective out of the box, so rather than even bother to send it back, just pulled the power. Mine is new enough to have the silencer power supply too, and it's way quieter than either my Computer or even the 96 I/O!

If I have it open again, maybe I'll put a new fan in the front just to be safe, but I've never felt any heat coming from the chassis with my HD3 in there.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:44 PM

The first time I did this I replaced the 3 front fans with quiet ones. The problem is the small fans tend to still make some audible noise, and don't move much air. This is why so many people say to just unplug them.

My latest mod, a 250mm fan right above the cards:

http://pic19.picturetrail.com/VOL103.../367520883.jpg

No noise at all, also helps force air into the bottom of the computer racked above it.

I will caution you, there is only one manufacturer of these giant fans at the moment, and they don't bother to include a drilling template for their cheesey mounting bezel. For this reason I wouldn't recommend this mod to anyone who is faint of heart.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:19 PM

Does anybody knows the difference?

PE6R4 with two cables to host or PE6R4 with one cable to host(computer)?

Do I lost some bandwidht with old one?
Old 06-23-2009, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koka View Post
Does anybody knows the difference?

PE6R4 with two cables to host or PE6R4 with one cable to host(computer)?

Do I lost some bandwidht with old one?
There's no difference in bandwidth, its just they developed i-pass so as to use one single cable to carry the signal.

The MK1 chassis has a better sound though! warmer, more open with better definition in the mid range frequencies

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

Old 06-23-2009, 08:04 AM

What? No LEDs? No neon blacklights inside the case? No designer fan grill with a pin-up or cobra embossed in it? What's this about pimping, then? pffff... I'm disappointed. At least, John_Toolbox has blue LEDs. That's a start.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drenkrom View Post
What? No LEDs? No neon blacklights inside the case? No designer fan grill with a pin-up or cobra embossed in it? What's this about pimping, then? pffff... I'm disappointed. At least, John_Toolbox has blue LEDs. That's a start.

you didn't notice the LED's on the PSU Fan?

replaced all the solder with 24 carrot gold
lots more bling to be done though! i'm thinking under chassis neon lighting, and maybe some diamond-encrusted rack ears and probably send the case away to be polished.

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

Old 06-23-2009, 01:47 PM

OK Im freak but isnt the sound was better on PPC G5?